Display channels with no EPG entries

Malcolm

It would be helpful to display all channels in EPG, even those with no entries in the EPG database. We use Humax with second satellite and map favourite channels to FreeSat through interface so that they show on the EPG on the TV, but cannot see these channels on Web-if, even though selected.

Ummmm, it is probably just because it's Monday morning and I haven't had enough coffee yet, but I can't quite get my brain into the right gear to see the point of listing a channel in the Web Interface EPG screens for which there is no data. It would just be a blank row with the channel title and number on the left hand side. I can't see that this is particularly useful - maybe I'm missing something.

Whatever the reason or perceived benefit, the Web Interface EPG screens are driven directly from the Freesat EPG data. There is no information in the Freesat EPG data for non-freesat channels mapped onto the Freesat channel list using the Web Interface Channel Editor, which is why they're not displayed. Whilst now/next data might be available for these non-Freesat channels via the Humax ueser interface itself, this data is not available to the custom firmware.

Apologies, more explanation is required.

I cannot remember the channel numbers that are assigned to all the stations, and so the program guide is the only way to find them and then select the station to watch. The Humax EPG displays all the FreeSat channels, even the non FreeSat mapped to FreeSat through the WebIf. I am lazy and use whatever device is handy to look at the WebIf view and select a channel. Having the non FreeSat listed in the WebIf EPG would be much better than using the WebIf as a remote control for all the well known reasons - the WebIf is much faster to list and navigate, it does not disrupt on-screen.

The non-FreeSat set to FreeSat do not list in Now-Next in the WebIf.

Note that in addition to appearing in the Channel Editor, where non FreeSat channels can be mapped to FreeSat, they appear in the WebIf Channel Lists and can be selected to be listed. I had assumed that the display was driven from these lists, and could be displayed even though there is no information in the EPG; default could be blank.

Fair point and I agree that it could be confusing that they appear in the Channel Lists screen but the fact remains that the EPG are driven from the EPG data and, because there is no data for those channels they do not appear. Basically, a query is made on the EPG data along the lines of "Give me the EPG data for the selected channel list for the selected day/timeframe", and the data that is returned is displayed. No data is returned from this process for channels with no EPG data which is why they are not displayed.

Yes, technically it would be possible to return empty rows of data for the channels which do not exist in the Freesat EPG but it would require some significant work as the same EPG search mechanism is used throughout the Web Interface and it is likely that having empty rows of data returned from EPG searches would break other functionality in the Web interface.

Despite several more cups of coffee since my earlier post, and my brain now working hopefully at full speed, I still can't fathom what earthly use it would be to have an empty row of data on the EPG screens for non-Freesat channels. Can you enlightlen me please?

The list provides an easy way to change channel - just click on the channel icon. Even if an empty display, it provides a quick and convenient way to select a channel without needing to remember the number and using the remote to select that or go through the on-screen EPG if you have forgotten the number.

With 30 or so no FreeSat channels added, and numbers in the 5000 range, it is easy to forget and confuse.

Despite several more cups of coffee since my earlier post, and my brain now working hopefully at full speed, I still can't fathom what earthly use it would be to have an empty row of data on the EPG screens for non-Freesat channels. Can you enlightlen me please?
Sorry Malcolm - I missed your post #3 somehow!

I dont' get much time these days to tinker with the Web Interface. If there are others here that think that this would be a useful addition I'll try and make some time to have a look at what can be done.

Back