Downloading recordings to pc

Mick Allen

Probably not a Humax question, but why does the d/l rate over my home network to pc vary so much? Sometimes it drops as low as 40kb/s, other times as high as 6mb/s. I would assume the signal is just Humax>router>pc?

Wireless or wired? If its wireless you might have a frequency clash with a neighbour, which would reduce the throughput. If that is the case, try setting the router to a different channel.

Wireless. I've noticed channel 6 pop up for my neighbour, which clashes. I've changed ours to 1, I'll keep my eye on it. Incidentally, is there any advantage to leaving it at auto?

I'm no expert on WiFi, but my personal preference is to have a fixed channel. The problem with auto is that it may pick an apparently empty channel, which then gets occupied at another time. I have an app on my 'phone which shows all the channels in use. I scan at a peak time (usually early evening) and find a free channel with that, then set the router accordingly.

Another option which can help is to use the 5GHz band if your devices support it. Its less crowded than 2.4GHz. It doesn't travel through walls as well as 2.4, but is usually OK for a small to medium size house.

Back