drive problems (2.5" AV Drive), freezing picture - not sure whats wrong

beastman

I upgraded my drive a couple of months back with a 1TB AV-25 (PVR friendly drive - model WD10JUCT.)
The drive actually came out of a working Fox T2 so I know it was fine. The upgrade went well and it was freshly formatted as new. All seemed well but after a while noticed the odd recording come up with the broken (damaged or failed recording symbol). Most of these recordings though seemed to play ok. But then, shortly before the recent hot weather I think, I started to get a frozen screen, usually with the audio still playing. Sometimes the system would reboot itself.
Now I'm more experienced with the Fox T2 but I found the maintenance mode and its doing it's thing but its still running around 24 hours later, with loads inode and illegal block errors!

The only thing I can think of is the PSU failing ad that's causing the issues but as the unit worked ok with more power hungry 3.5 drive that seems unlikely. Maybe it could be failing tuners?

Then I thought maybe If I should have changed the SATA speed on the drive. I can't see anything that relates to dropping the rated speed down from the rates 3Gb/s to what I guess is the preferred 1.5). As its a PVR drive I would have thought it should just work. The only reference online to jumper settings on these drives is to change to either RPS enabled (reduced power spinup) or SSC enabled (Spread Spectrum Clocking). Maybe these drives can't be clocked down to 1.5 Gb/s and that's the cause of the issue?

The unit was bought 2nd hand with the CF already on it. The CF stayed on the unit after replacing the drive (presume this is normal but I was surprised at that, I guess it would need reinstalling) so could it be a corrupt CF?

Has anyone had issues with 2.5 drives or similar freezing/corruption?

thanks

Have you tried looking at the drive manufacturers website ? There might be a way of patching the firmware.

Sorry should have mentioned, already tried that one.

I rebooted into normal mode after about 36 hours of doing it's thing. All seemed normal with recordings all there. So got it back into maintenance mode to retry fix disk to see if more errors would be evident and it's doing the same thing again with loads of errors!
Might try and put in a normal drive and see if that fixes it.

The drive actually came out of a working Fox T2 so I know it was fine.
You don't know that. You're just making an assumption. At least back it up with the SMART stats. for the disk.
The upgrade went well and it was freshly formatted as new.
Formatted by what? The standard Humax software sometimes seems to create filesystems which the disk check process doesn't like. It's better to format the partition manually - you get control of the options. See the 2TB installation blog on the Wiki to pick out the relevant command.
I started to get a frozen screen, usually with the audio still playing. Sometimes the system would reboot itself.
Yes, this is a common fault. Perhaps that's why the previous owner got rid of it.
No, I don't know how to fix it.
The only thing I can think of is the PSU failing
Based on what evidence? None.
Maybe it could be failing tuners?
It could be the phase of the moon.
Then I thought maybe If I should have changed the SATA speed on the drive. I can't see anything that relates to dropping the rated speed down from the rates 3Gb/s to what I guess is the preferred 1.5). As its a PVR drive I would have thought it should just work. The only reference online to jumper settings on these drives is to change to either RPS enabled (reduced power spinup) or SSC enabled (Spread Spectrum Clocking). Maybe these drives can't be clocked down to 1.5 Gb/s and that's the cause of the issue?
You really are getting desperate now aren't you?
The unit was bought 2nd hand with the CF already on it. The CF stayed on the unit after replacing the drive (presume this is normal but I was surprised at that, I guess it would need reinstalling)
The CF is in flash memory, not on the disk. You didn't say what version it was of course, but you should update it to the latest.
so could it be a corrupt CF?
No.
Has anyone had issues with 2.5 drives or similar freezing/corruption?
I haven't had much luck with 2.5" drives over the years. Why don't you just use a standard 3.5" one?

Ignore glt and his firmware stupidity.

You don't know that. You're just making an assumption. At least back it up with the SMART stats. for the disk.

Formatted by what? The standard Humax software sometimes seems to create filesystems which the disk check process doesn't like. It's better to format the partition manually - you get control of the options. See the 2TB installation blog on the Wiki to pick out the relevant command.

Yes, this is a common fault. Perhaps that's why the previous owner got rid of it.
No, I don't know how to fix it.

Based on what evidence? None.

It could be the phase of the moon.

You really are getting desperate now aren't you?

The CF is in flash memory, not on the disk. You didn't say what version it was of course, but you should update it to the latest.

No.

I haven't had much luck with 2.5" drives over the years. Why don't you just use a standard 3.5" one?

thanks - will put a standard drive in and see if that helps and hope the 2.5 drive isn't cabbaged.

So you not only insult me but a new poster who had the same idea :eek:

prpr you frankly are beyond the pale.

I hope a moderator will sort this out. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Changing the firmware isn't going to fix anything. If you really think is it, then you really are stupid. The comment stands.
I'm a bit fed up with your attitude as well. Hopefully the mods. will sort you out.

It's always the same no matter where you go. Peeps/CS will always ask you if you have the latest soft/firmware/re-installed it regardless of whether or not that update has actually addressed the problem that the user has.

Back