DSO and OTA disables.

Trev

The Dumb One
At the great danger of being incredibly boring, I am having a brain freeze on disable-ota and disable-dso. I have read BH's write up HERE but I am still have a problem getting my head around them.
What are the consequences of removing:
a. disable-dso and
b. disable-ota (now that there will be no OTA updates)?
and having disable-ota installed with no wake-up reminder?

disable-dso is to stop the box deciding that it needs to retune itself based on flags in the broadcast stream (1.02.32 and above). I would keep that.
disable-ota stops the box waking itself up in the early hours to look for an update. With a wake-up reminder makes it wake up normally instead to update EPG etc.
If you remove disable-ota, then after a while the box will start waking up to search for updates again (of course it will not find any). To remove the overnight wake completely, keep the package but disable (and then manually delete) the reminder.

Thank you. Most concise.
dso OK thanks
ota. If I remove the overnight wakeup, will the EPG still update next time I boot the box? If so, why bother to wake it up overnight?

Thank you. Most concise.
But apparently too concise.

ota. If I remove the overnight wakeup, will the EPG still update next time I boot the box? If so, why bother to wake it up overnight?
It will wake up overnight unless you have disable-ota installed and delete the reminder schedule (manually). The point is to stop it happening.

But that does not answer my question.
1. disable-ota with no reminder stops it waking up? (Y/N)
2. The reminder is so that it can update the EPG? (Y/N)
3. If Y to Q2, what's the consequences of not updating the EPG overnight? This is the bit I am having a block about.
4. If N to Q2, what's the reminder for?

But that does not answer my question.
3. If Y to Q2, what's the consequences of not updating the EPG overnight? This is the bit I am having a block about.
1. (Edit: I've removed my answer as I miss-read the question, but I think I've answered the question in my reply below)

2. Yes: If you are using old official software (with or without custom firmware).
But unnecessary with 1.03.12, or you have some AR recordings in your schedule, or regularly boot the box at least every 7 days. If you are using padding and are on 1.03.12 then nether the disable-ota installed nor the reminder are needed as its search for new software will also take care of keeping the epg updated.

3. If you are using padding, are away for more than a week and are not using 1.03.12 then the epg will not be updated and your series recordings will stop working on the 8th day that you are away.

4. Currently it is used to ensure that the epg gets updated if you are using old official software (with or without custom firmware). When the disable-ota was first created it would occasionally allow a few updates to get through. The introduction of the reminder was as a secondary safety net to stop the overnight update occurring until there was suitable custom firmware available for the new version and the owner was ready to install it.

ota. If I remove the overnight wakeup, will the EPG still update next time I boot the box?
Yes.
- The epg will update when it is in standby and expects an AR recording to start being made shortly.
- During a reminder and any other time it is fully awake, including when you boot the box.
- For 1.03.12 only, when it is looking for new software at 4:30 overnight providing it is standby and not recording.
If so, why bother to wake it up overnight?
Not much point unless you are not using 1.03.12, and not using it every day and not regular users of AR.

Last edited:
Not much point unless you are not using 1.03.12, and not using it every day and not regular users of AR.
Using 1.03.12 and I only use AR and bring the box out of S/B most days.

So disable-dso installed, disable-ota installed with no reminder it is then.

What brought me to all this was the fact that the reminder used to be set to LCN 200, but automagically changed to LCN 13 (I think) recently, so I thought to myself, why is it there anyway? so I just thought that I would show my ignorance and ask.
Thanks to those who have contributed to clear this up for me, but I expect I will have forgotten all this next time it arises. But at least I will be able to search my posts for an answer that I understand now.

Now off to see if I can find something less mind numbing to read.:frantic:

Using 1.03.12 and I only use AR and bring the box out of S/B most days.

So disable-dso installed, disable-ota installed with no reminder it is then.

What brought me to all this was the fact that the reminder used to be set to LCN 200, but automagically changed to LCN 13 (I think) recently, so I thought to myself, why is it there anyway? so I just thought that I would show my ignorance and ask.
Thanks to those who have contributed to clear this up for me, but I expect I will have forgotten all this next time it arises. But at least I will be able to search my posts for an answer that I understand now.

Now off to see if I can find something less mind numbing to read.:frantic:

Trev, Now that you’re on top of it.... would it make a difference if you left the box on all the time? Believing that it’s the thermal and electrical stresses of powering up and down that cause things to break, I now leave HDR-Fox T2 on all the time: no automatic power down and both Power On Timer and Power Off Timer are set to Off. (And it allows remote access at any time.)

In such a case, would you still have
“disable-dso installed, disable-ota installed with no reminder it is then.”?

If I left mine on all the time, Mrs. Trev would have my blx for bookends.:(
I have turned the S/B lights out on our TVs else she would have me switching off at the mains every night.:frantic:

Yes

No, the reminder is a backstop to prevent an OTA slipping through accidentally. This is rendered unnecessary by RTS, and is not a problem now there are no more OTAs.

IIRC the latest (Humax) firmware has cured this problem. It used to be the case that a reminder wake-up was required to ensure the EPG was refreshed, because making a scheduled recording from standby did not and resulted in no more recordings after a week. Using the same reminder to cover OTA was a convenience.

See above.[/QUOTE]

Back