Easy Humax Remote Access

Peso

Hello. Just wanted to share an Internet Service I have discovered that adds a new dimension to the Humax.

I recently added a NAS to my ever increasing computer collection. One of the 3rd party packages you could install on it was Tailscale. It’s one of those free to private but businesses pay programs.

I’ll only give a brief description here, you can go read yourself more detail if you find it interesting.

With it running on my NAS and on my mobilephone/laptop it tells the various machines their internet addresses, then let’s them connect to one another directly over an encrypted vpn tunnel. Not via a middleman.

Basic description that.

Why it helps with the Humax is you can enable some devices (my always on NAS) as a subnet router and see your home network via that machine.
I can connect to the HDR web interface like I‘m at home, on my home network from anywhere in the world. No port forwarding in the router required.

There is also an app to run it on an AppleTV HD and up. Got one one off eBay (£55) and left it at my parents so I can more easily look after their 3 T2 boxes. Run fixdisk from hundreds of miles away, without having to talk them through it over a Skype screen share. Download recordings.

Lots of other things you can do it, but I just wanted to point out the potential benefit for remote accessing a HDR and T2 on the road.

Yep. I have been using Tailscale for ages. It runs on my pfSense unit with exit node enabled. I previously used WireGuard which I have configured on my pfSense unit but find Tailscale more beneficial.

Back