EPG vanished

Wildebeest

No channels showing on EPG pn either RS or webif - has something happened ? Other web pages on both showing up ok, EPG page displays but is not populated below the search box section..

In fact the box crashed overnight - needing a full retune etc - 3rd time this year :(.
Following the restore and consequent resboots the EPG re-appeared again and everything working ok, so I suspect this may have been a symptom of the impending crash.
On the RS although the home page is displaying the restored schedule ok, neither the EPG nor visual page are populated yet despite the box having been "seen" since the restore/reboots (also confirmed by the home page being ok), which is slightly odd.
These crashes are becoming a pain.

Crashes are not uncommon; a crash that results in needing a re-installation I have never heard of. Is this a "random factory reset" rather than a crash?

The CF did not need to be re-installed, but when turned on from remote it starts up on the installation screen, i.e. with a retune, language selection etc. Schedule gone, internet connection gone, favourites gone, various other settings etc. Schedule and favourites I restored from latest backup.

That's not a crash. Crashes are when everything freezes up and you have to power-cycle it, or it reboots of its own accord. What you are describing is the random factory reset syndrome (equivalent of a manual restore factory defaults operation, Menu >> Settings >> Installation >> Factory Default), which is not common but does happen (I've had one in 8 years on four units). Your experience of frequent occurrences is unusual.

There has been mention of an idea to prevent it (by ensuring a particular flag isn't set), but I have no idea what progress there might be (@af123).

Our best guess for the cause is database or flash file system corruption. With that frequency of occurrence I’d recommend using the system flush update, which formats the flash filesystem completely (does not affect recordings). After that you will need to go through the initial setup wizard again but hopefully that will sort it.

If you run custom firmware you’ll then need to run the fix-flash-packages diagnostic and re-check your settings as some will have been reset to the defaults.

Back