Exploring a transmitter tower

MikeSh

YouTube video that might interest some people.
Basically a walk-round of an American FM/AM transmitter with some digital/HD (if I understood it right).
Exploring a 1 MILLION Watt FM Tower
About 18 minutes.
Initially I skipped through a lot but then was interested enough to go back to watch from the beginning.

OP
MikeSh

MikeSh

Wow. Get the size of that co-ax!
When I skimmed through first time I thought they were wave-guides, like radar.
I'd like to have seen how they 'translate' into the antenna up on the mast, but clearly that was not possible for these guys.

EEPhil

Number 28
I gave up trying to watch this when my YouTube downloader showed the file as being greater than 1GiB. Either the downloader is toast or the video is in v high quality. I was interested, but not interested enough to use that much data on a metered connection!

Luke

Well-Knwοn Мember
I gave up trying to watch this when my YouTube downloader showed the file as being greater than 1GiB. Either the downloader is toast or the video is in v high quality. I was interested, but not interested enough to use that much data on a metered connection!
Did you try to change the quality setting?

1669131718251.png

everthewatcher

Forum Supporter
I gave up trying to watch this when my YouTube downloader showed the file as being greater than 1GiB. Either the downloader is toast or the video is in v high quality.
720p is my default so 125MB and a 20 second download on a PC with Tartube.
I was interested, but not interested enough to use that much data on a metered connection!
A meterered connection? How quaint...

everthewatcher

Forum Supporter
1MW ERP so a lot less actually goes up the mast.
[Edit] Having watched the video I see antenna gain was mentioned briefly.

Last edited:

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
All that wasted power running the off-line spare transmitter into a dummy load! You'd think they could use the heat in some way rather than release it to free air.

OP
MikeSh

MikeSh

All that wasted power running the off-line spare transmitter into a dummy load! You'd think they could use the heat in some way rather than release it to free air.
I think they only use that when testing it. It wasn't very clear but that was what I took away.