Exporting recordings? Drive format?

lstar337

It’s been a while, but I’m trying to export some recordings and so far failing.

I have a 128gb flash drive, but the files won’t copy. First it said it couldn’t copy because the drive was NTFS, so I formatted the drive in exFat, then it said it couldn’t copy because there was insufficient space!

What’s the issue here? Because I’m sure I have done this before without a problem.

The stock firmware only allows read from NTFS and doesn't support exFAT at all. Use FAT32 if you must have it compatible with Windows (but this limits files to 4GB), or Ext3 (no limits) if using Linux.
Or use FTP (bearing in mind that the standard server is not very reliable).
Or install the Customised Firmware and be freed from (most of) this crap.

Last edited:
I have Custom Firmware, so as far as I can tell from the link BH posted, NTFS should be acceptable?

Is there some other caveat I have missed?

Is there some other caveat I have missed?
You need to install the ntfs-3g package for NTFS write capability, similar for exFAT.

From Quick Guide to Custom Firmware (click), section "Configuration":
ntfs-3g

As standard, the HD/HDR-FOX can read USB drives formatted NTFS... but not write to them. This is inconvenient because (a) many drives come ready-formatted as NTFS these days (ready for Windows), and (b) the main alternative (for Windows PCs) is FAT32 - which cannot accommodate files larger than 4GiB (which isn't much, for video). There are other alternatives (see Things Every... [click] section 12), but the simple solution is the ntfs-3g package - which confers NTFS-write capability.​

Thanks BH. I knew I was missing something simple because I have done this many times before, rescuing recordings from my faulty drive. This is the first time on a new drive, and I obviously haven't installed that package yet.

Back