Extract to MPG failure

skind56

Hi, I'm attempting to extract a radio recording to mpg but it is failing. On clicking the 'Perform mpg extraction' it then quickly, 1 sec, displays 100% but no file is created.
Here is the help:

Extract To MPG​

Web-If MAIN >> Browse Media Files >> (Select Single File) >> OPT+ >> Extract To MPG
This function will produce an MPG copy of the *.TS file in the same folder, the MPG version strips out control frames relating to things which were on the same Mux as the recorded program, resulting in a smaller file. The following conditions must be met :-
  • The file must be decrypted (Displays a DEC against it)
  • ffmpeg package must be installed
  • Extract to MPG is only available from Standard Definition Files
I believe all the above conditions are met and have been happily extracting these via auto-decrypt for years. I recently tried extracting to audio but this takes too long, so I aborted that and now have some files to extract but, as I say, it's failing. I have also tried rebooting the Humax to no avail.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Why would you want to extract a radio recording to MPG? Surely you just want the audio.
In which case:
Web-If MAIN >> Browse Media Files >> (Select Single File) >> OPT+ >> Extract audio

I recently tried extracting to audio but this takes too long,
?

Extract to MPG produces a .mpg video file, all it is doing is changing the packaging format from .TS to .MPG. The audio content remains MP2 in the .MPG package. If that's compatible with your player I guess that's fine, but it's not extracting the audio from the overall stream.

Extract to audio extracts the actual audio stream, either as MP2 (in the .mp3 file) which is quick... but not necessarily compatible with players which can't compute the MP2 data. Selecting the option for proper MP3 output decodes the MP2 and re-encodes it as proper full-fat MP3, which is slow on the HDR-FOX at about 0.1x real time. Nonetheless, that's what I do so I can play radio recordings on my car player.

The ffmpeg command run for Extract to MPG specifies copying both audio and video streams. I expect that it fails if there is no video stream in the .ts. Looking at a decrypted radio show, it has an audio stream and two further non-video streams.

The ffmpeg command run for Extract to MPG specifies copying both audio and video streams. I expect that it fails if there is no video stream in the .ts.
You're right, it does. I just tried it and reproduced the OP's symptoms. It would be useful if the WebIF operation produced an error message such as "no video stream found" rather than just implying success (even if an experienced user would know because of the small amount of time taken).

Went into Settings and changed 'Audio extraction type' back to MP2 but still no luck.
The setting applies to "Extract Audio" not "Extract to MPG", see post 5.

have been happily extracting these via auto-decrypt for years.
The "problem", I think, is that you've misinterpreted "MPG" as "MP3" and forgotten you normally click "Extract Audio" not "Extract to MPG".

The "problem", I think, is that you've misinterpreted "MPG" as "MP3" and forgotten you normally click "Extract Audio" not "Extract to MPG".
Thanks Black Hole, that's it, I misremembered! All I needed to do was alter the 'Audio extraction type' in settings and continue to use 'Extract Audio'.

Thanks, all, for the help with my memory issue!!

Back