"Extract to mpg" not available

HuMac

Hi all,
Did a forum search on this but drew a blank. Any advice most welcome.

I'm running CF 3.13 and have just applied all the package upgrades recommended by the system. For good measure, I then switched the machine off completely (i.e. rear power switch as well) and re-booted.

I have a number of decrypted HD files, but when I hit the "OPT" button on any of them, the "Extract to mpg" option is greyed out. Am I missing something here?

Cheers, Ken

Extract to MPG is not an option for HiDef recordings, decrypted or not. The "extraction" process is only re-packaging: the audio and video streams from the .TS container (actually M2TS) are taken as-is and put into an MPG container. The streams in a HiDef recording are AAC and AVC (H.264) so are not compatible with the MPG container format and have to be MP4 (amongst others) instead.

If you're set on repackaging to MP4 with the HDR-FOX processor, it is possible on the command line using ffmpeg... but it might be a lot quicker to do at your destination (if that's a general purpose PC). If you actually want to re-encode video you really do need a PC for the job.

Ah righto - thanks for the heads-up. I'd forgotten that!

If I want to try converting the files on my computer, do I need to download all of the associated files ( .hmt / .nts / .thm ) for each episode, or just the raw .ts file? (I'm downloading via FTP, so these other files are visible to me.)

Only the .ts. The other files contain metadata not relevant to anything other than your HDR-FOX.

Last edited:
Back