Failed recordings.

makem

FOX HDR-T2 with latest Custom Firmware.

We recently had two power outages in quick succession whilst this box was working I think. Although I cannot be sure it started then we have been losing recordings.

I found the firmware was out of date and installed the latest. I noticed we had begun to miss recordings which I was sure I had setup so tonight I deliberately kept watch on the box and set up a recording of the news due on in a few minutes.

At the due time the reorder started recording or appeared to because the ring went red. We were watching the other Humax at the time, I noticed the recording stop when I heard the familiar 'click' of the box shutting down so assumed all had gone well.

Later I found that nothing had recorded and realised that this is what had been happening for at least a few days. I set it to record what I was watching and the ring changed to red and it recorded correctly.

The box is following the scheduled recording requests but is recording nothing.

I was going to reinstall the CF but decided to seek advice here first in case there was a log which could assist diagnosis.

EDIT: I am also getting repeated !! WARNING !! You have pending system notifications:
11/12/2017 21:11:12 - Automatically upgraded package webif

I acknowledge these but they keep repeating whenever I choose different facilities in webif.

Recent recordings listed in RS show all the scheduled recordings have taken place, The system is just not writing to disc any scheduled recordings.

Last edited:
'xpect you've got one or more partitions gone read-only.
Run fix-disk from maintenance mode.

Reinstalling up-to-date firmware is completely pointless.

Recent recordings listed in RS show all the scheduled recordings have taken place, The system is just not writing to disc any scheduled recordings.
That's because the rs package looks for a "failed" status in the .hmt file for an attempted recording. No .hmt file (due to read-only disk), no failed status - so RS assumes the recording scheduled occurred and was successful.

Reinstalling up-to-date firmware is completely pointless.
...unless the result is an upgrade to fixdisk that happens to help. I submit it is best to be running the latest CF when trying to recover a file system error.

Run fix-disk from maintenance mode carried out.

System records correctly now. Thanks.

Just one thing, I've lost the recording schedule backup list. Has it been removed in the new CF?

Has it been removed in the new CF?
That's not the new CF doing that, it's the updates to the WebIF. Although people generally regard the whole custom ecosystem as CF, specifically it refers to the core stuff installed by firmware update from UPD, and is burned into Flash memory. The CF provides the hooks to allow other software to run (which would otherwise be locked out by the standard Humax firmware. The WebIF is "just" a software package providing an HTML control panel, running under the OS modifications provided by the CF.

The fixdisk process accessed via the command line or Telnet menu is installed in Flash along with the CF, so that the HDD can be taken off-line for analysis or repair. Therefore, updating to the latest fixdisk implies also updating the CF to the latest version. It doesn't require that the WebIF (or other packages) are also updated.

Last edited:
Back