Fan minimum speed setting not working

mr-b

Hi

My mother has an issue with the front panel intermittently showing overheating. So I tweaked the fan setting to run at a minimum of 55%, but sysmon showed that the fan was not running most of the time. It showed fan full when the disk temp reached 55 deg but by that time she has usually seen the front panel flashing a warning (tempmon is set to alert if >=55 deg) and has switched it off just in case.

I'm visiting her currently and the fan is definitely off unless the temp reaches 55 deg when the fan kicks in. Any ideas why the fan min setting doesn't appear to be working? Could the fan be on its way out?

Also what should sysmon show when I've set the minimum fan speed to 55% i.e. should it show the fan on all the time?

Any ideas why the fan min setting doesn't appear to be working? Could the fan be on its way out?
It's possible that you need to run the fix-flash-packages diagnostic to get the fan package working again.

Also what should sysmon show when I've set the minimum fan speed to 55% i.e. should it show the fan on all the time?
Unfortunatey, sysmon just shows what the fan would be doing with the stock firmware and doesn't take account of the fan package settings.

There have been instances of fan refusing to work, or stopping working for no apparent reason without getting to the bottom of it. If the temperature chart on sysmon shows a downward slope, you know the fan is operating (take no notice of the labels - they are only implied), but with a min setting of 55% you should see a steady line with no significant upward excursions.

If you still believe there is a problem, try the fix-flash-packages diagnostic, and then if it still shows no sign of life (no downward slope in the temp plot) see Commissioning an HDR-FOX (click).

Success ! After I ran fix-flash-packages the fan spun up from boot (though I may put a blob of tippex on as it's very difficult to detect with the lid on) and the temp curve was much flatter and remained below 40 deg even after recording and decrypting a programme.

Useful to know about sysmon in relation to the fan speed too.
My mother is much happier. Tx to all for the speedy help!

Back