Filesystem /mnt/hd2 on /dev/sda2 is read-only??

Brian Dawson

Apologies for incorrect terminology...
I have two HDR-fox T2 boxes. One lost all channels and needed to auto rescan which was fine but it didn't update according to customised firmware settings. The box was missing from the router home network list so had to get the IP address of the box from configure LAN (wifi). The webif states, worryingly in red, 'There are filesystem problems with the hard disk on this system. Filesystem /mnt/hd2 on /dev/sda2 is read-only'. I followed the advice on maintenance mode disk check by using telnet to put it in to maintenance mode which appeared to work as 'maintenance mode' was showing on the display but it was counting down from 60 in seconds, then display changed to 'wi-fi', the picture froze, telnet stopped and I had to turn off on the back of the machine to get it to respond when it obviously is not in maintenance mode.
The box works fine, I can access all channels and all previous recordings playback as they should. It does not make any new recordings dispite the red dot showing on the EPG. I assume I need a new HDD but would appreciate any suggestions if there is anything else I can do. Thank you..

I followed the advice on maintenance mode disk check by using telnet to put it in to maintenance mode which appeared to work as 'maintenance mode' was showing on the display but it was counting down from 60 in seconds, then display changed to 'wi-fi', the picture froze, telnet stopped and I had to turn off on the back of the machine to get it to respond when it obviously is not in maintenance mode.
That was your opportunity to reconnect by Telnet so that you can carry out disk maintenance. The HDR-FOX will not operate normally in that state, as is required so that the HDD is released for maintenance operations.

See here: Quick Guide to Disk Recovery (click)

I followed the advice on maintenance mode disk check by using telnet to put it in to maintenance mode which appeared to work as 'maintenance mode' was showing on the display but it was counting down from 60 in seconds, then display changed to 'wi-fi', the picture froze, telnet stopped and I had to turn off on the back of the machine to get it to respond when it obviously is not in maintenance mode.
You need to reconnect with telnet once it is in Maintenance mode, that's all.
The box works fine, I can access all channels and all previous recordings playback as they should. It does not make any new recordings
This is what's expected when the filesystem on partition 2 is read-only. I wouldn't call that working "fine".

I expect you DON'T need a new disk, but if you post the SMART stats, then somebody will advise.
You probably just need to run the fixdisk process from Maintenance mode.

I tried reconnecting with telnet as soon as 'maintenance' was displayed but it would not reconnect and timed out. I tried typing menu but still timed out..

I tried reconnecting with telnet as soon as 'maintenance' was displayed but it would not reconnect and timed out. I tried typing menu but still timed out..
Hi, I had this problem a few days ago, and was difficult to resolve, I expect that you will be able to reconnect the box to the Maintenance' mode, once you do that then run the fixdisk utility from the command line (cli), and check to see if this produces results, you may choose to post the results here for others to check and maybe offer advice.
I would turn the box off and connect it to the network via ethernet, then switch back on again.
Also via the command line you may run smartctl, and or fsck utilities, these may help resolve matters.

If all else fails, assuming the HDD has not 'had' it then transfer the recording onto a external HDD and reformat the internal HDD, and then transfer back.

This is a network problem rather than anything else. If you can summon up a cabled Ethernet link, even temporarily, that will help. Have you got wireless-helper installed?

Have you got wireless-helper installed?
Quite. Installing it in this state is impossible as the FS is read-only, so the only recourse is going to be a cabled connection (or taking the disk out and fixing it externally with a Linux PC of course).

Thank you for your help so far. I have connected an ethernet cable, which sorted the maintenance mode connection problems, and am currently running fixdisk.. I do have wireless-helper installed. I'll get back here when it has finished with results.

I have had to restart the box twice so far since first starting fixdisk at midday yesterday. Just stopped mid word for hours. Trying again this morning..

It just stopped doing anything for hours until I rebooted the machine and tried again. Done that three times now. 'Mid word' means it stopped in the middle of a word for hours which is what made me suspect the process had stopped. Any suggestions welcome..

Done that three times now.
If it does the same thing every time, what is the point in re-trying the same thing?
'Mid word' means it stopped in the middle of a word for hours which is what made me suspect the process had stopped.
It might help if you provided the exact output and some of the preceding lines.

If it does the same thing every time, what is the point in re-trying the same thing?
Extract from Steps for Repairing a Disk of Unknown Faults 'In the event that the process "hangs": rebooting (turn power off and on again at the switch on the rear panel) restores normal operation, and you should then retry fixdisk.
It might help if you provided the exact output and some of the preceding lines.
Inode 29656278 is in use, but has dtime set. Fix? yes
Inode 29656278 has imagic flag set. Clear? yes
Inode 29656278 has a extra size (13544) which is invalid
Fix? yes.
Been like that for seven hours..

I assumed it could take many hours but not, as it is now, 15 hours of appearing to do nothing. How long would you give it before you do come to the conclusion it it's stopped?

It's very hard to say, but AFAIK we have no history of fixdisk actually crashing without compaining of being out of memory or something.

Sometimes it comes to the point where you are better backing up and reformatting as it's going to be quicker (not to say that isn't very time consuming either). Sometimes this process has run for days - and sometimes it fixes things and sometimes it doesn't. It's annoying whatever, especially as you can't use it in the meantime.
Inode 29656278 has a extra size (13544) which is invalid
Fix? yes.
I wouldn't say that is mid-word, or even mid-line. That would have been odd.

Back