Filezilla '503 Bad sequence of commands'

TonyP

It's been a while since I used Filezilla to pull off some of my recordings; no issues, set the IP/user/PW and I was in.
Now all I get is the message string below:
Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Command: USER XXXX
Response: 332 Need account for login.
Command: PASS *************
Response: 503 Bad sequence of commands.
Error: Critical error: Could not connect to server​

I can get into the HDR through the web interface using the same IP/user/PW. Filezilla site manager is set at the right IP/user and PW, FTP protocol, encryption to use explicit FTP over TLS if available. Web interface settings are on HTTPS

It's driving me mad!

Please- anyone know how to resolve this (that's not too technical)!

Thanks

Ensure you are using vsftpd server on the Foxsat, not the basic tinyftp server which does not support TLS, and note that vsftpd will not work with TLS either, unless you have configured it properly to do so via vsftpd.conf. If you have previously used TLS successfully on the Foxsat you would know that it uses SSL certificates which you first need to create. However, I suspect you have not, seeing that you requested a "not too technical" response. Try a standard FTP connection instead of encrypted TLS, which I think you may have selected inadvertently. Web interface credentials are not the same as FTP credentials. Webif username and password are whatever you set them to be. FTP username and passwords are either HumaxFTP/0000 or root/root

Last edited:
Ensure you are using vsftpd server on the Foxsat, not the basic tinyftp server which does not support TLS, and note that vsftpd will not work with TLS either, unless you have configured it properly to do so via vsftpd.conf. If you have previously used TLS successfully on the Foxsat you would know that it uses SSL certificates which you first need to create. However, I suspect you have not, seeing that you requested a "not too technical" response. Try a standard FTP connection instead of encrypted TLS, which I think you may have selected inadvertently. Web interface credentials are not the same as FTP credentials. Webif username and password are whatever you set them to be. FTP username and passwords are either HumaxFTP/0000 or root/root

Raydon,

You're a life saver. I'd completely forgotten the FTP password/0000 in Filezilla; soon as I used this I'm in!

Many thanks!

Back