Fix-disk loop?

Sputnik

Trying to run fix-disk utility in 'maint' mode, and during initial short disk self-test, reports "Error at LBA 0" followed by Block 0 OK, Block 1 OK, Block 2 OK,,etc until Block 7, then simply recycles after 60 secs with the same messages. Left running for about 10 mins before quitting. Is this recoverable at all, or has the HD had it?

Trying to run fix-disk utility in 'maint' mode, and during initial short disk self-test, reports "Error at LBA 0" followed by Block 0 OK, Block 1 OK, Block 2 OK,,etc until Block 7, then simply recycles after 60 secs with the same messages. Left running for about 10 mins before quitting. Is this recoverable at all, or has the HD had it?
Do you have the latest version of the custom firmware (version 3.13)? If not upgrade and try again.

Do you have the latest version of the custom firmware (version 3.13)? If not upgrade and try again.

Yes I have that vsn of the CF.

I've somehow managed to resurrect it after leaving it switched off for a couple of hours and doing a full HDD reformat. But I think I've been lucky. It's not the first time I've had issues with the box ( it was a refurbed purchase anyway). Time to invest in a fvp-5000 methinks. Thx for replying.

If you are going to 'invest, then 'invest' in a new HDD for the T2.
Incidentally, I expect a financial return on my investments. I buy stuff.

And you ticked me off for being picky over a post!

There was a bloke in my office used to talk about "investing in" a sandwich or the like. He was very Welsh in origin, so I wondered whether there was some kind of link through the languages.

According to the unabridged Oxford English Dictionary "invest" can also be colloquial for "to lay out money, make a purchase".

According to the unabridged Oxford English Dictionary "invest" can also be colloquial for "to lay out money, make a purchase".
Certainly sounds right. That's how I've used the term.
Incidentally, I expect a financial return on my investments.
:rolling: What! With current interest rates and a little local turbulence due to the government faffing about you'd be lucky to get a return that keeps up with inflation.

Getting back on topic. As someone who actually owns an FVP-5000T, it is a better box than some of the commonly expressed opinions would have you believe. It is certainly true that the user interface is not quick but that doesn't bother me in practice; I do get irritated by some strange design decisions in the UI and some inconsistency in the way the UI operates. However the recording performance is excellent (with an ability to record 4 programmes at once), out of the box you get the ability to unencrypyt SD content over the network to a Windows 10 PC (which I timed at 11MB/s on my network) and some capability to schedule recordings remotely. My advice to someone considering purchasing one is to go into a shop and try it; if you can live with the speed of the UI and don't make heavy use of the customised firmware for the HDR-FOX T2 then you will probably get along with an FVP-5000T OK.

Last edited:
:rolling: What! With current interest rates and a little local turbulence due to the government faffing about you'd be lucky to get a return that keeps up with inflation.
Yes, I know what you mean. But at least I do get a return. I have just bought a new SSD for my computer and that was a purchase, not an investment, as eventually it will fail and have no residual value.

Enough already.

Back