Fixdisk looping when repairing LBA 0

Do I need to give up and stop the process?

It will still boot up but it was starting to go into a reboot cycle hence I started running fixdisk to see if that would sort it.

I just need to know whether I should cancel the process and or if I can transfer the file via the command line / telnet to a drive?

Thanks

Rodp

ok presume that's the whole process? Mine fixed about 10 bad sectors which only took a matter of minutes but then got to LBA 0 error and has since then been looping with the same message.
Just a thought; what version of the custom firmware are you using?

... is there a way to tell it to ignore the LBA 0 and carry on checking the rest of the driver? I've run using the -y option so I don't have to stay by the PC all the time.
I think we should see the actual SMART test result as it may be possible for fix-disk to get confused while running the tests, say by running smartctl -l selftest /dev/sda at the shell prompt. (For instance, it may think the test that it started has finished when it hasn't, because of differences in the test reporting between disk firmwares).

There should be options to re-run the long and short self-tests in the Maintenance Mode menu.

If fix-disk can't be made to work, you can try to save the disk contents as below and then run the secure wipe procedure on the disk. Or, you might refer to my post #24 above.
Also, is there a way to transfer all the data off the HDD to a USB drive via the humax command line whilst in maintenance mode as booting up is becoming a problem but stable in maintenance mode? (all files decrypted)
Make sure the rsync package is installed. Then you can use that to copy the contents of each filesystem on the disk.

aha! rsync - that was it - thanks /df. can you install this whilst in maintenance mode? if not I'll have to give this a go in between the cyclic rebooting it's now doing. However I'm giving ftp ago having taken the drive out and plugged it into my "spare" humax.

I'll have to plug my HDD back in to get to the smart test result - I'll come back with this in a day or so.

does secure wipe still keep the back blocks / sectors marked as bad blocks / sectors. Could this resolve the LBA 0 error in the fix disk process? Could my plan of buying a replacement HDD be overkill giventhat the number of reallocated sectors is low (72). I come back with the smart test results shortly - presume I can't get it via USB caddy.

Thanks

Rodp

SECURE ERASE UNIT with the enhanced option tries to erase the no longer accessible reallocated sectors, so that the relocated data couldn't be easily recovered by adversaries with the means to access those sectors. I don't think any part of the SATA spec allows for resuscitating relocated sectors.

As before, it would be helpful to see the SMART stats including the selftest results.

Back