Force software download and full reinstall

satbunny

My 5000 is very poorly.
It refuses to record items that are set up in a schedule.
The item is concerned either disappear from the schedule or sit in perpetually requesting information.
And yet when you look at an episode in the planner it only offers "cancel series".
Which by the way it refuses to accept.
If I do reset all settings it's ok for a week but then it continues to error in the same way.
If I try to reset all settings and format HD, it fails saying the storage is not yet formatted.
Before I give up and buy a different box could anybody recommend how I can force a factory reset and a full software download?
Is the software available as a download in then I can force a reinstall from a USB stick?

My 5000 is very poorly.
The item is concerned either disappear from the schedule or sit in perpetually requesting information.
And yet when you look at an episode in the planner it only offers "cancel series".
If I do reset all settings it's ok for a week but then it continues to error in the same way.
If I try to reset all settings and format HD, it fails saying the storage is not yet formatted.
Before I give up and buy a different box could anybody recommend how I can force a factory reset and a full software download?
Is the software available as a download in then I can force a reinstall from a USB stick?
Do a full Factory Reset and download the software from here, click on the blue text Humax.

If the link does not take you directly to the software download page then
search for Humax UK.
Click on Support, select Select Product.
select Freeview recorders enter Humax 5000T> Software.
Follow the instructions to install via USB.

My 5000 is very poorly.
I don't think your 5000T is very poorly, nor do I think downloading the currently available software will necessarily help.

If an item is "perpetually requesting information" it usually means that the current series has finished, or an episode is not on within the next 7 or 8 days. (eg. Vera on ITV: The latest series was split - 2 episodes last year, 2 episodes this year - the same series link picked up both halves with the entry remaining in the "requesting information" state for quite a while.) The re-entry of that series back into the active schedule is down to the broadcasters. Some broadcasters will apply the series link to just one series of a programme, with a different series link for the next series. (eg. Castle on Great TV: even though it is on every weekday when series 1 ended so did the series link, to record series 2 you need to set another recording) Other broadcasters will use a series link to apply to all episodes of a programme. (eg. Blake's 7 on Forces TV: all 4 series recorded with one series link).

I have come across episodes that only offer "cancel series" and it won't let you do it. Tedious though it is, if it is a daily programme, try the cancel on each individual episode and see if any of them work. I have managed to clear this problem by doing this. I have also come across episodes which appear not to be in the series link (but should be) and are not showing the red timer icon, but when you try to set the recording you can't because it is already part of the series link. It offers to cancel series but doesn't work. I have not let the 5000T proceed like this, so I don't know whether the recording actually takes place. What I do is find an episode that displays the icon, cancel the series link., go to the episode that didn't display the icon and set the series link. Usually this clears that problem.

I have not come across items in the schedule refusing to record - unless you have a power failure, or somehow have managed to schedule more items that the Humax can actually record (very unlikely), or the item actually wasn't broadcast.

One other thing that can screw up recordings is receiving signals from multiple transmitters. Have you got any channels saved on your 5000T in the 800s? In other words have you got two copies of BBC1, ITV? If you have it might be worth looking into doing a manual channel setup.

If an item is "perpetually requesting information" it usually means that the current series has finished, or an episode is not on within the next 7 or 8 days.
I do understand, but we are talking about Coronation Street.

In the meantime I brought the exact duplicate machine down from the bedroom, which exhibits none of this behaviour.

We realised we almost never watch TV in bed anymore.

I do understand, but we are talking about Coronation Street.
Ah. Not something I record so I can’t comment on that. If it was a common problem I’d expect there to be more and louder complaints.

If you have two 5000Ts and one works properly then that is odd. Maybe I was wrong and updating the software may work. (But not if the working one has an older version!) Perhaps worth checking whether you have the same version on both machines. I’d definitely check whether both machines are tuned into the same transmitters. To check on the Corrie problem, go to ITV on both machines and check whether the multiplex channel is the same. [F]Settings/Channel Settings/Signal Test from the remote, preferably when nothing else is recording, should give you a channel number and signal strength and quality. If these are not the same in both machines this could be the problem. If they are the same something weird is happening!

We know weird stuff happens with the HDR-FOX, usually cured by a "factory reset". Why should the 5000T be any different?
Perhaps I misread. I thought the OP had done that.
For the record. I have found a full power down on a 5000T cures some problems. A factory reset often cures others. Always worth a try - just remember to make notes of any preferences and timers. Remember NOT to format the disk when doing a reset unless you really want to!

I am on my second 5000t after a humax replacement. The new one is the same as the old one. picture freezing, record and reminder unaccessable, dispite my foxt2 working flawlessly. using a variable attenuator makes a small difference, but totally unacceptable.
for more info see my post.

Back