Format HDD

Umpa

From the Hummy settings I can't format the HDD - error says the hard drive is too big - whatever that means !
Can I format it throught the custom firmware ? and if so how.

Thanks

Ump..

Edit:-
"Update: To summarise the below, the reason the HDD can't be formatted is because of the activity of the CF in the background. Use the Telnet menu to shut down the CF (Safe Mode), reboot, and then format from the Humax menus as usual. Reformatting the HDD implies recordings will be lost and the CF will need to be reinstalled afterwards, if required, but tuning and recording schedules will not be affected."

Last edited:
Well, how big is it?
Its the standard one that came with it. 500GB.
Thats why I found the error a little daft.
After some reading, I managed to format it with the fixdisk command from maintenance mode. I rebooted, and after a while it said from the hummy menu there was no hard drive and to format it, I did so and its working again.

The fixdisk said it partitioned the drive and formatted it with some format I don't know, the hummy [after ages] decided it wanted to format it again. I reinstalled the webif, had to install all the packages - the funny thing is it remembered all the settings, all the schedule the lot.

All is good :)

Whilst I have had the hummy a while, and had the CFW a while, I have not really dabbled with it, everytime it crashed I turned it off and on again, never really understood it.

I must say this Customised Firmware and webif has really got good over the years.

Yes! I installed it on my spare FoxT2 HDR (and updated my main box, which doesn’t get much use) and was amazed by how much it’s matured in the last couole of years or so. Mostly, it’s more fun to explore the CFW than to watch the recorded content, although I’ve got The Silent War recorded (about the submarines in the Cold War) . Now available on BBC iPlayer until early December 2018. Highly recommended!

Your a little late - I fixed it and reported in #3
The post was not just for you. You said you formatted it with 'fixdisk' but you didn't. Fixdisk runs in maintenance mode and can fix some disk, partition table and filesystem errors: it does not format the disk. The correct procedure (as described in the link to the previous thread that I posted) is to put the unit into safe mode from the telnet menu, which prevents the custom firmware from running, and then use the remote control to reformat. Left uncorrected this thread could cause confusion for others who encounter this issue in the future and come across your post.

Well thanks for pointing that out.
All I can tell you, is that after using the fixdisk the box formatted the disk anyway and all is good.
If your comment was for the thread - don't quote - as that causes confusion too hence my post telling you I had fixed it.
Better to just clarify IMO.

That really clarifies things (not)! Post 6 is perfectly appropriate, complete with the use of selective quote, IMO.

The problem is that your "solution" was not the right one, nor was your explanation of what happened. Because recent threads are at the top of the list, newbies to the forum will pick up on the most recent information, so it is essential that any misinformation is corrected in the thread ASAP and signposted.

You won't get the best value from this forum (or any Internet forum) by being sensitive. Learn to disregard how people express themselves and see the message underneath.

Last edited:
That really clarifies things (not)! Post 6 is perfectly appropriate, complete with the use of selective quote, IMO.

The problem is that your "solution" was not the right one, nor was the explanation of what happened. Because recent threads are at the top of the list, newbies to the forum will pick up on the most recent information, so it is essential that any misinformation is corrected in the thread ASAP and signposted.

You won't get the best value from this forum (or any Internet forum) by being sensitive. Learn to disregard how people express themselves and see the message underneath.
I guess that goes for him too then ! I understand where your coming from.

@Umpa: The best way to "fix" this thread (so it is maximally informative without leading people the wrong way first) is for you to edit your first post to include the correct answer. I recommend adding a footnote to Post 1, something like:

"Update: To summarise the below, the reason the HDD can't be formatted is because of the activity of the CF in the background. Use the Telnet menu to shut down the CF (Safe Mode), reboot, and then format from the Humax menus as usual. Reformatting the HDD implies recordings will be lost and the CF will need to be reinstalled afterwards, if required, but tuning and recording schedules will not be affected."

On further consideration, although Post 6 links to relevant material, that could also have been clearer by quoting the relevant posts rather than linking to a post that does not stand up in isolation. Posts 10 and 13 are the most apposite in the linked topic, but nowhere does it clarify that the Telnet menu needs to be accessed to accomplish this. I shall add something to the standard references.

I guess that goes for him too then ! I understand where your coming from.
Excuse me. I made a quick post to point to the correct solution and that was the end of it as far as I was concerned. It was only after you posted to say that 'I was a little late' that I posted to clarify the situation. The only way that fixdisk would cause the HDR-FOX to prompt for the disk to be reformatted is if the unit was rebooted or crashed before fixdisk was complete and caused a filesystem corruption. I am not disputing that that is what happened to you but fixdisk is not a disk formatting tool. It was not my intention to cause offence, merely to set the record straight.

Excuse me. I made a quick post to point to the correct solution and that was the end of it as far as I was concerned. It was only after you posted to say that 'I was a little late' that I posted to clarify the situation. The only way that fixdisk would cause the HDR-FOX to prompt for the disk to be reformatted is if the unit was rebooted or crashed before fixdisk was complete and caused a filesystem corruption. I am not disputing that that is what happened to you but fixdisk is not a disk formatting tool. It was not my intention to cause offence, merely to set the record straight.
Yeah I understand that now. I am glad you have now after your explanation. I have made corrections to my posts in an attempt to correct any future misunderstandings. I guess things could have been made clearer by all sides. Still might make someone smile if it ever gets read. Piece Dude !

Back