Formatting external HDD

Hounddogman

I have a significant amount of video recordings stored on the internal hard drive of my HDR-Fox T2 that I want to retain and I am running out of space for new recordings (currently c 80 gig free). I would like to attach an external HDD to archive some of my existing recordings to and have a currently unused Seagate 1Tb (currently formatted to NTFS) to do this. My understanding from looking at other posts here is that to be able to write to the external HDD from the Humax internal drive the former has to be formatted to Ext3 and that this can be done using the system menu on the Humax itself. However when I go to the System menu the Data Storage option (which is where I'm assuming the Format procedure is) is greyed out.

Have I missed something or misunderstood? Do I need, for example, to wipe all existing material from the Seagate first?

Grateful for any help anyone can give me.

the Data Storage option is greyed out.
That means the drive is not recognised as being present. This could be if it requires too much current from the HDR-FOX's USB port.

You could try connecting the drive to a PC and formatting it FAT32 first.

It wasn't making a recording. I did boot the Seagate first, which seems to have caused the Humax to switch on as well. I gather this can cause problems. Both drives are visible and both have greyed out options for 'data storage' on the system menu. I will check this again.
I take it this is a drive with its own external PSU. Dunno. I thought you said the whole Data Storage menu was greyed out.

It was in fact, as you thought, about to make a recording. When this finished formatting was enabled again and I have successfully formatted the external Seagate drive, it took a relatively short time. I have not yet tried to archive stuff but will do so later. Thanks for your time and advice. It is a mains powered drive (although PSU usually means Primary Sampling Unit to me) and I will use the new Toshiba to replace it for PC backups.

Back