Resolved Forum Ads / iOS9

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
Having (foolishly, as it turns out) recently updated my iPad from v7 to v9, I have a lot of trouble with Safari - particularly on this forum. The problems are intermittent, and observation of the occurrences leads me to suspect it is something to do with the way Safari v9 interacts with the ad server (only some adverts).

I have tried a couple of other browsers (Mercury, Chrome) and they don't seem much better (if at all) - which doesn't surprise me, because I suspect they are obliged to use the standard iOS rendering engine. I could (maybe) look for a way to block the ads, but I don't consider that cricket - we should not deny revenue to a service we wish to continue enjoying (however small that contribution might be).

If I could, I would revert to iOS7, but I am told it is not possible even with a PC/iTunes backup. The main reason I installed 9 was to get more flexibility in the calendar scheduling, but it has come with all manner of unwanted "upgrades" - from Safari now auto-hiding the navigation bar (no option to turn off) to Notes no longer supporting text-selection-and-copy without actually opening the note for editing. How stupid is that, Apple?

There's no chance of getting Apple to correct iOS9, so is there anything the admins can do to make the ad server more compatible with it, pretty please?

Last edited:
Not sure if you are aware of this but when safari auto hides navigation bar you just need to touch the top of the screen and it reappears. Hope this helps.
Re note copy/past. Are you sure it didn't always flip into edit mode when you try to select text for copy?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have only recently become aware that this forum has adverts, after finding out that my previously paid for version of Mercury browser was not available to install on my iPad Pro, and that I would have to pay an annual fee for the updated version.

I reluctantly tried using Safari, and Chrome browsers, but found all of the adverts to be extremely irritating, and totally irrelevant to me. Then I discovered the Adblock Plus iOS app, this works wonders with Safari, but sadly does not work with Chrome, so I am slowly getting used to using Safari.

Not sure if you are aware of this but when safari auto hides navigation bar you just need to touch the top of the screen and it reappears. Hope this helps.
Yes I am aware and no it doesn't help. For one thing it has caused an action I use frequently ("back") to go from one click to two. For another, I have to teach older people how to use this stuff, and a key feature of ergonomic design for the ageing brain (anything over 30) is to have what you need visible and always in the same place. That was a major problem when Microsoft went for the "ribbon interface" in Office 2007 (which is why I prefer 2003).

The problem is not solved by using another browser, because you can't default the Pad to opening links in anything other than Safari.

Re note copy/past. Are you sure it didn't always flip into edit mode when you try to select text for copy?
Yes, absolutely. The Mail app doesn't suffer from this limitation, why should Notes?

I have only recently become aware that this forum has adverts
Some forums get stroppy if you have ad blockers installed. These things have to be paid for somehow, and if ignoring adverts is a way to do it, that's fine by me. I doubt I would be aware of the VBox without them.

I agree that blocking them should speed up my page loads though, and if no solution presents itself I might have to do that, because iOS9 has made my iPad use verging on the painful.

I have the 'Purify' ad blocker installed on both my iPad and iPhone (running iOS 9.2.1). I hate adverts.

However, having said that, I have and do make monetary donations both to this forum and RS too, most recently as last week. I am aware that someone has to pay somewhere along the line and would hate for this forum in particular, to 'disappear' through lack of funds.

Re. Ad blocking. I was under the obvious miss conception that the cash that we occasionally donate was to pay the site fees and keep it AD free? Is this a miss conception?
BH said:
Some forums get stroppy if you have ad blockers installed
That wouldn't be the site that starts with AF, and also doesn't like links to other places despite it being allowed by their rules for non commercial use , would it?;).
I find that non of the adds are applicable to me and if they only get paid by click throughs, they get no money from my surfing, so why object so strongly about AD blockers?

Last edited:
That wouldn't be the site that starts with AF, and also doesn't like links to other places despite it being allowed by their rules for non commercial use , would it?;).
You might say that, I couldn't possibly comment.

I think an ad blocker is the way to go. I was talking to a mate about it last night, and he showed me that there is an option to allow ads through, on the same menu as requesting the desktop site.

I also cough up funds from time to time, for sites I frequent and would prefer not to lose.

I use Firefox and their Private Browsing feature. This ensures the ads are not loaded and consequently my ancient laptop appears quite fast.

There's a bit of cross-topic conversation going on - in the other thread it was suggested I try the ad block extension in Mercury (which I already use occasionally, for sending a different user agent - although Safari can request the non-mobile web page now) and everything is good again.

Note that I can't use the iOS9 native support for ad blocking apps (which is what I originally expected to do) because it is only supported in 64-bit processors (which means iPad Air and above).

http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/ios7-and-ios9.3600/page-5#post-93836

I use Firefox and their Private Browsing feature. This ensures the ads are not loaded and consequently my ancient laptop appears quite fast.
Adblock Plus is an add-on in Chrome, Firefox, possibly most browsers on Windows. Why private browsing?

Sadly, it is not available in Chrome on Android, but is in Firefox. The very poor performance of the latter with multiple tabs open makes me reluctant to default to that. I don't know if Firefox on iOS even has add-ons.

Sadly, I have tried the Adblock Plus app on Android several times, but each time my devices eventually ground to a dial up halt and I had to remove it.

Ah, but I am just a simple soul and rarely have many tabs open for the reason you mentioned. Even loading up the few ads on this forum took an age on my now 8 year old Vista laptop. No such problems with 'private browsing'.
I tried Adblock but loading pages slowed sufficiently to make the laptop unusable.

Back