Frames per Second Switch Query - AURA or TV?

Steppy

We recently switched from our beloved Samsung 55 inch LED TV to a new Samsung QE65QN90C Neo QLED HDR 4K which after a bit of tweaking we have got a fantastic picture.

My query is with automatic frames per second switching as it has me stumped.

We never use the TV's in-built tuner for Freeview as we watch everything through the AURA's tuners and use YouTube and Plex apps for all other viewing. It happily switches between 50 fps and 60 fps content, but it never wants to automatically switch to 24 fps which is the majority of things we watch on Plex. It usually ends up switching it to 60 fps which sometimes is OK, but as soon as you get any panning shots you lose the lovely smooth motion and it starts dropping frames which I can understand as it is not on the correct setting. I can manually change the fps by pressing the S/AD button on the AURA remote and pressing the appropriate coloured button, but I cannot fathom how to make the AURA to automatically make that choice.

I have been through all the menus on the TV to see if there is an automatic fps switching setting, but I cannot find it. Sometimes if I forget to change the fps setting back to 60 when I have finished Plex the TV/Aura goes into a panic and keeps trying to switch to the correct setting with flashing green screen/blank screen etc. The quickest way to fix that is to go back to the AURA live TV input and then all is well again.

I found a setting in Plex last night allowed auto frame switching and thought that would sort it, but that just made it worse and the TV/AURA was constantly trying to switch fps, so I turned that back off again. I am not sure if it is the TV that is trying to switch or the AURA or sometimes the YouTube app. I feel like I just need one device to do the switching and not more than that so avoiding the issue?

The Aura is currently on auto resolution switching in the settings, but I have tried it on fixed resolution setting as well, but the AURA (I think) still switches anyway. To be honest all the resolution setting confuse the heck out of me, so that is why I have just left it on Auto, but if there is a fixed setting that someone thinks may be a better choice, then please let me know.

I am not sure if it is down to more than one source trying to switch, but it's like its fighting against another source trying to switch. We never had this issue on the old TV and it was only 1080p and I don't remember seeing a 24 fps setting or I never noticed it as there was never an issue.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

use YouTube and Plex apps for all other viewing.
Apps on the TV or the Aura?

The Aura is currently on auto resolution switching in the settings
Resolution is not the same as frame rate, although frame rate might be included when it refers to progressive or interlaced. Are you sure the TV and Aura specs say they support 24fps? 25 and 50fps are for UK TV, 30 and 60fps for 60Hz mains countries (USA).

Frame rate conversion is tricky, and a trick used to do it economically is simply to double up every 24th frame in a 24fps file to create 25 fames every second, if the hardware won't do 24fps natively.

I suspect the Aura settings are similar to the HDR-FOX, and the output resolution is simply what the Aura sends down the HDMI to the TV. Say you chose that to be 1080i: any input from broadcast will then be interpolated if necessary and interlaced if necessary, but those are just 2D operations not requiring any time-domain resampling.

If the Aura is capable of playing 24fps media files at 24fps (is it?), then the HDMI output will be at 24fps (HDMI is only a digitised serialised equivalent of analogue RGB – nothing clever) and the TV will be expected to support 24fps too.

HDMI does have a capability for the display to report its capabilities to the upstream device, and in theory the upstream device should downgrade its output to the best the display can handle, but I'm dubious what could be done in the case of frame rate.

Apologies for the large images, I will try and get them smaller.... - EDIT - Sorted, thanks @Black Hole

Everything we watch is through the AURA including the Apps.

I understand the differences between fps and resolution, but I just included that as the AURA gives lots of options for each 🙂

The Aura definitely supports 24fps as you can see from the below photos..... I guess Hz translates to fps as switching to that definitely sorts the issue? The AURA also has the same settings for 4K, but all the files we stream in Plex are 1080p, so I only included that in the screenshot.

IMG_8749.jpg

This shows the AURA being on Auto switching

IMG_8750.jpg

This is where I can change to 24 fps whilst the programme is being played, by simply pressing the corresponding number, in this case 4.

IMG_8751.jpg
Thanks

Last edited:
If the Aura is capable of playing 24fps media files at 24fps
There is a setting "HDMI Resolution" that offers auto, 1080p 50Hz, 1080p 60Hz, 1080p 24Hz, 1080i, and 720p.
Whether other apps on the Aura behave like VLC, I don't know. VLC allows you to match display frame rate (blurb suggests matches refresh rate to media frame rate). Also, preferred video resolution (Best available, full HD, HD, SD, LD and VLD). Trying to find settings that reduce the jerky frame problem and keeps the audio in sync is a PITA!
My crappy TV reports the frame rate with a banner whenever it changes. That suggests that the Aura can send 24Hz down the HDMI.

Edit: Bgr! Steppy posted the images as I wrote this. :D

Edit: Bgr! Steppy posted the images as I wrote this. :D
I would have been quicker, but I was pulling my hair out trying to get he photos smaller :D

It's just so weird that the Aura will not automatically switch to that frame rate when it is clearly available in the options.

It was so much simpler with the old TV.... progress :disagree:

Last edited:
I was pulling my hair out trying to get he photos smaller :D
E6C47565-624E-4FA6-B3EF-A91D5C7DC3D8.jpeg
You can, if you wish, edit your post as follows: delete all images in the post, then re-add them by inserting thumbnails from the file attachments listed at the bottom of the post.

If you actually meant making the files small enough to be uploaded in the first place, that is typically an upload option ("actual size" or something else) or you would have to convert the images off-line first.

Last edited:
View attachment 7131
You can, if you wish, edit your post as follows: delete all images in the post, then re-add them by inserting thumbnails from the file attachments listed at the bottom of the post.

If you actually meant making the files small enough to be uploaded in the first place, that is typically an upload option ("actual size" or something else) or you would have to convert the images off-line first.
Sorted.... at last, thanks :thumbsup:

I was using ibb which I use on other Forums without issue, so not sure what happened this time....

A bit of progress last night, not sure why it happened as any settings I changed, I changed back, but when viewing a programme on Plex the Aura flashed up with the correct resolution and frame rate (1080p 24 fps) rate and I thought great!!.
Unfortunately moments later it flicked back to 1080p 60 fps :thumbsdown:

Press S/SD on the remote and select '4' and it fixes the issue, but I just cannot understand why it will not do it automatically. Could a different HDMI lead make a difference?

I just cannot understand why it will not do it automatically.
Something made by Humax and you can't understand why it doesn't do exactly what you think it should do??!

Could a different HDMI lead make a difference?
How?

The HDMI lead either works or it doesn't. If it is lacking some kind of back-channel connection by being v1.3, then I suppose upgrading to v2.0 might help, but I would expect you to be using v2.0 compatible cable for 4K anyway.

Something made by Humax and you can't understand why it doesn't do exactly what you think it should do??!

How?

The HDMI lead either works or it doesn't. If it is lacking some kind of back-channel connection by being v1.3, then I suppose upgrading to v2.0 might help, but I would expect you to be using v2.0 compatible cable for 4K anyway.
No trouble playing 4K content so that’s that one ruled out, I’m just clutching at straws really.

Guess I will continue with pressing a couple of buttons to get what I need.

What 4k content are you watching?
Numerous YouTube videos I watch are in 4K

I changed the “Dynamic Refresh Rate” from Low to High last night and that makes the Aura correctly choose 24fps, but unfortunately it changes the resolution from 1080p of the source to 4K and that just sends it in a green screen/ black screen loop only fixable by going back to live TV.

Eureka it’s sorted!!

Two new 8K HDMI leads and everything works as it should.

Perfect smooth fluid picture and not a hint of screen flashing, in fact it switches way quicker than it did before.

I was using the lead that came with the Aura, plus another supposed 4K one.

It would seem one or both were not up to the job. I would like to think the Aura supplied lead would be capable considering they state the Aura is capable of playing 4K content which it obviously can, but maybe it wasn’t.

Whatever I am glad I’ve got it sorted.

Back