FTP & Telnet on the Foxsat HDR

raydon

A guy named mogie over on AVForums has released a custom firmware providing FTP and Telnet services on the HDR. Check out his thread HERE. :D

A guy named mogie over on AVForums has released a custom firmware providing FTP and Telnet services on the HDR. Check out his thread HERE. :D

I have just got my Foxsat HDR and am already amazed of the different possibilities with it. Is it possible that you are someone can post a user friendly guide with snapshots of using this custom firmware. This would be particularly helpful for the less technically minded users like myself. Thanks and I hope this forum goes from strength to strength.

I have just got my Foxsat HDR and am already amazed of the different possibilities with it. Is it possible that you are someone can post a user friendly guide with snapshots of using this custom firmware. This would be particularly helpful for the less technically minded users like myself. Thanks and I hope this forum goes from strength to strength.
Hi I use Filezilla ftp client to access mine(actually using the portable apps version so I can use it on a USB stick from wherever I am) , although almost any FTP client should work. If you are not familiar with ftp it's commands are quite long winded but filezilla is a Window gui and takes out the pain , there is a "tutorial" here http://wiki.filezilla-project.org/FileZilla_Client_Tutorial_(en).
If you look for filezilla tutorial in google(or your favourite search engine) there are a couple of links to youtube videos too (I have not checked them out).

I will post a picture soon of my Hummy and Filezilla.

Hi , as promised
Hummy 1.jpg

Above is the initial screen of the Hummy from Filezilla login

Hummy 2 .jpg

And this I have expanded the Videos sub folder of the Hummy.

Select a destination in the file lists on the left(local PC) then click and hold and then drag the file on the Hummy (remote site).
Obviously this be used also for dragging files from the PC to the Hummy too, eg I copied my MP3s from my PC to the Hummy's Music folder.
It is also useful for archiving files from the Hummy on my NAS or Onto my PC.

For the more adventurous or just curious of those out there ;) the software (see raydons post ) also activates a telnet server on the Hummy ,
thus you can Telnet to it too !!!!WARNING!!!! it does put you in the box as root(superuser) and thus I cannot guarantee that you will not brick the Hummy.
The commands available on the Hummy (ie in Busybox) are here(Linux aficionados will understand)
# /bin/busybox
BusyBox v1.2.2 (2009.10.22-01:30+0000) multi-call binary

Usage: busybox [function] [arguments]...
or: [function] [arguments]...

BusyBox is a multi-call binary that combines many common Unix
utilities into a single executable. Most people will create a
link to busybox for each function they wish to use and BusyBox
will act like whatever it was invoked as!

Currently defined functions:
[, [[, ash, busybox, cat, chmod, cp, dd, df, dmesg, dnsd, e2fsck,
echo, egrep, fdisk, fgrep, find, free, fsck, fsck.ext2, fsck.ext3,
getty, grep, halt, hexdump, hostname, id, ifconfig, ifdown, ifup,
inetd, init, insmod, kill, killall, klogd, ln, login, ls, lsmod,
mdev, mkdir, mke2fs, mkfs.ext2, mkfs.ext3, mknod, modprobe, mount,
mv, nice, nslookup, ping, poweroff, ps, pwd, reboot, rm, rmmod,
route, run-parts, seq, sh, sleep, su, sysctl, syslogd, telnetd,
test, time, touch, udhcpc, umount, wget, zcip

Hi I use Filezilla ftp client to access mine(actually using the portable apps version so I can use it on a USB stick from wherever I am) , although almost any FTP client should work. If you are not familiar with ftp it's commands are quite long winded but filezilla is a Window gui and takes out the pain , there is a "tutorial" here http://wiki.filezilla-project.org/FileZilla_Client_Tutorial_(en).
If you look for filezilla tutorial in google(or your favourite search engine) there are a couple of links to youtube videos too (I have not checked them out).

I will post a picture soon of my Hummy and Filezilla.

Thanks very much for this info-I will have a good read before I have a go but see that it is safer to use FTP rather than Telnet.

thanks for the great info, guys, feels good to have the HDR networked at long last

Back