FVP-5000t going offline when pressing 'guide' or 'recording'

rabbituk

Hello,

We've had the FVP-5000t 500GB player for about 1 month now so have now had a chance to get reasonably familiar with it. It was purchased to replace a PVR9300 which in turn had replaced a Thomson PVR100.

The FVP-5000t appears to have a 'feature' where it occasionally (maybe 5% of the time) turns itself off when I press the 'guide' button. I think I've seen this occur also when pressing the 'recordings' button. It then doesn't appear to respond straight away to either remote control or power button on the unit. Have I got a defective unit? Has anybody else experience this problem? Are there any workarounds? At the moment it is using WiFi but I am going to get a switch/hub to alleviate that issue.

Other issues I've experienced:-
  • 2 lock ups that required a power cycle
  • 1 instance where there was no sound, power cycled unit to get sound back
  • slow UI - could be related to it using WiFi /and/ being overly dependant on a net connection - not a good idea in a rural household which is ~5km from the exchange

The FVP-5000t appears to have a 'feature' where it occasionally (maybe 5% of the time) turns itself off when I press the 'guide' button. I think I've seen this occur also when pressing the 'recordings' button.
I have seen the problem you describe when pressing the 'Recordings' button a few times; don't remember seeing it when pressing 'Guide'. I am not sure what is happening as it doesn't appear to crash the Humax software because recordings that are in progress continue.

Slow UI: Most people seem to agree that the UI isn't speedy. Only you know whether it is too slow. Most of the time the UI seems just about OK to me. There are times when the box doesn't seem to respond to remote control keypresses. Then it tries to respond to the backlog of keypresses and you don't know where you are. My 5000T is connected to a LAN, but rarely connected through to the internet - I'm not sure that this is causing any slowness in the UI.

Guide/Recordings: I've not come across this problem. For me, pressing Netflix either causes a complete lock up or causes some of the functions to stop working. (P+/P- fails but direct channel entry works or vice-versa). Power cycle required to fix this. I now use another remote to drive the Humax so that my clumsy fingers don't hit the Netflix button.

No Sound: Not had this one. On some occasions, when changing channels, the sound appears to be mostly on the left side - moving to another channel and back fixes this.

Slow UI: Most people seem to agree that the UI isn't speedy. Only you know whether it is too slow. Most of the time the UI seems just about OK to me. There are times when the box doesn't seem to respond to remote control keypresses. Then it tries to respond to the backlog of keypresses and you don't know where you are. My 5000T is connected to a LAN, but rarely connected through to the internet - I'm not sure that this is causing any slowness in the UI.

I've tried disabling the WiFi. Not straight forward to do on the PVRlayer itself as there doesn't appear to be an option to disable WiFi and selecting LAN made no difference. Ended up switching off the WiFi APs. However it doesn't appear to make much of a difference on the speed of the UI.

As a side note, when I tried to select LAN in order to disable the WiFi it reported that connection was unsuccessful (understandable considering no RJ45 plugged in) yet the network connection screen then shows that the network is connected via LAN as opposed to WLAN! See this YouTube video
- sorry for the poor quality but hopefully it is /just/ good enough

I've tried disabling the WiFi. Not straight forward to do on the PVRlayer itself as there doesn't appear to be an option to disable WiFi and selecting LAN made no difference...

As a side note, when I tried to select LAN in order to disable the WiFi it reported that connection was unsuccessful (understandable considering no RJ45 plugged in) yet the network connection screen then shows that the network is connected via LAN as opposed to WLAN!
For various reasons I'm not permanently connected to the internet. I used to turn off the network switch for my LAN when it wasn't needed. The Humax then decided to try and make a WiFi connection. I couldn't find any way of turning it off either. The only way I could stop it trying to connect via WiFi was to leave the network switch on. The fact that there is a live connection between the Humax and the network switch seems to be enough to prevent the WiFi attempt. I seem to remember having to do a factory reset and let the Humax detect the connection - but I might be wrong.

Back