FVP-5000T - tuners have stopped working

Higashi

I've had a FVP-5000T for 2 years and 4 months (so now outside the extended warranty!)

All of a sudden last week, I found that I was getting no signal on any of the channels. A power off and reboot seemed to fix this, but then the problem returned. This time a simple reboot didn't fix it - I had to do a re-tune via a factory reset. But now the problem has returned and a re-tune no longer finds any channels (the signal strength meter indicates no signal).

I have verified the antenna signal as I have the Humax RF out plugged into my TV. When I switch on the Humax the TV picks up channels via that RF signal.

As a side issue - after I did my first factory reset (without formatting the HD) I found that I could no longer play any recorded programs (just got a grey box with a progress bar below.) I've also found that it won't format the HD. This made me wonder if there has been a recent software update which has screwed things up. However, the last update is indicated as Jan 2021.

Has anyone else had similar problems? I think I may have to look for a replacement from another manufacturer, as I've always found the Humax fairly flakey and slow.

Update to this post:
I downloaded the latest software release onto a USB stick and installed. I then plugged into to a different aerial connection (presently used by a working TV). The Humax still won't find any channels. Looks like the tuners are well and truly stuffed 😥

Last edited:
Has anyone else had similar problems? I think I may have to look for a replacement from another manufacturer, as I've always found the Humax fairly flakey and slow.
The data that the tuners need to do anything useful is held in a database. I wonder if some sort of corruption has occurred that is preventing the box accessing the database. The fact that you can't play recordings also suggests that the problem may be more widespread than the tuners. I would try using the system flush file in the "Supporting files" section at https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Firmware_Downloads

Edit: Ignore the bit about the system flush; I didn't realise the post was in the FVP section; my mistake.

Last edited:
When I tried again I found that I could play some of my recordings - so maybe that was a temporary glitch.

I looked at the Firmware page you mention - unfortunately the "System Flush Update File" links both give a 403 error, I'm also not really sure on the firmware version applicable - maybe it will be clear if I restart it and look at system info.

I looked at the Firmware page you mention - unfortunately the "System Flush Update File" links both give a 403 error, I'm also not really sure on the firmware version applicable - maybe it will be clear if I restart it and look at system info.
Apologies. My mistake, I didn't realise the post was in the FVP section.

No harm done: unless there's something severely wrong with the FVP-5000T, there's no way it would do anything with a file named "HDR_FOX_T2_upgrade.hdf" - and even if it were renamed to something the 5000T accepts it shouldn't pass sanity checks.

Apologies. My mistake, I didn't realise the post was in the FVP section.
No problem - I had thought that the FOX label was referring to an older model!

I've gone through several factory resets and error checking and formatting of the hard drive, all to no avail - it's still seeing no signal. I even opened up the box to see if there might be something like a dry solder joint around the tuner section. So I think I've given up on it now - at least I can salvage the 1Tb hard drive.

I think I'll give Humax a miss in future. I used to have a Humax Freesat receiver and that also packed in, after I think less than a couple of years of light use.

You could go for a Manhattan T3-R, if you wish to try a box from an alternative manufacturer.

Back