Green screen on secondhand HDR Fox T2

Mike Austin

I have just bought my second secondhand HDR Fox T2 from ebay, and this one shows a permanent green screen on hdmi. On the hdmi input, when switching on, a hd screen appears for a second or so before going green. The scart connection is fine.
My original HDR and the first ebay purchase are perfectly OK, using the same TV and the same hdmi cables. I have tried different sequencing of switching TV/HDR. I have performed a factory reset and reformat. I have reinstalled the original firmware (1.03.12).
Can this be fixed, or should I return it immediately? I suspect a hardware failure.

Sounds like you should return it if you can and the seller described it as fully working with no faults. Perhaps that's exactly why it was on eBay.

OK, it is going back. I could have accepted a partial return and tried fixing it. There is some scratching around the hdmi socket suggesting a replacement socket could have worked, but it is not worth it.

There is some scratching around the hdmi socket suggesting a replacement socket could have worked, but it is not worth it.
I don't understand how you arrive at this conclusion. HDMI is a digital serial interface, so the connection either works or it doesn't. You said there was an "hd screen" (presumably the Humax splash screen) before it goes green - if so, you can take that as an indication that the connection is OK and it's something in the driving electronics actually causing the problem.

Definitely not worth keeping, if you can get your money back.

I don't know how these connections work, but there are several contacts inside the socket. If one is for the 'handshake' then, if that is checked just after the others have connected, the signal will be cut off at that point. Pure speculation on my part, of course!

The only thing I'd have tried is a DRM reset from the hidden menu. That resets the encryption key used for HDMI & HDCP.
The system flush update available from the wiki does the same thing and more so that's worth a try too as it will really reset everything.

Aha, I did not know of this one! It sounds promising. I will look into it.
OK, so I have found this System Flush Update file under Supporting Files here that, as far as I understand, will not only install the original firmware (as I did previously) but will also flush everything out including resetting the DRM. Is that right?

It won't install the original firmware, but as you've done it previously it doesn't really matter.

af123 might confirm whether it does or not, but I can find no reference to the system flush resetting cookie and DRM data like is available from the hidden service menu. Be aware that either are last-ditch nothing-to-lose "might as well try it" remote possibilities, and that in all likelihood the unit is going back - so it would be best not to fiddle too much.

It crosses my mind that work was done to improve stability of HDMI in successive firmware releases. You say you have installed the latest release of firmware, but you could try (as another clutching-at-straws) installing an older firmware. It doesn't seem worth it though, because you wouldn't want to be limited to old firmware by hardware problems.

Back