Gremlins in the works?

YorkieLover2

The weirdest thing happened earlier on. All my equipment (Humax, TV, Soundbar, DVD etc) was connected and working as usual. I went out into the kitchen for a couple of minutes, only to return to find no picture on my TV, yet everything else working. I switched the TV back on, only to notice that the AV signal had gone to HDMI 1., the DVD player! How? I neither switched to DVD nor touched the AV button on my TV! How on earth could this happen? Even more weird, when I made sure I had my output signal set to FVP-4000T, it happened AGAIN! Switched it back, it happened a 3rd time!!! In the end, I disconnected the DVD player. Can anyone explain this? No, it WASN'T the cat!!! He was fast asleep throughout!😸😸😸

Can anyone explain this?
Is the DVD player the same brand as the TV? My Blu-ray used to play silly buggers unbidden, because it was the same make as the TV and picked up commands over CEC. The problems stopped when I replaced the TV with a different brand.

Is the DVD player the same brand as the TV? My Blu-ray used to play silly buggers unbidden, because it was the same make as the TV and picked up commands over CEC. The problems stopped when I replaced the TV with a different brand.
Hi Black Hole, No, each component in my system is of a different make. I am totally baffled with this one! The 2nd and 3rd time around, it happened before my very eyes! Come to think of it, the sound just went off yesterday evening, again while I was out of the room! The sound CANNOT go off unless I press the mute button on the handset. When I checked, it hadn't gone to 'mute'. My soundbase was still switched to 'on' and everything else, was fully operating. I had to switch off and reboot the entire system to bring my sound back! My first suspicion was, of course, the cat. However, he really was fast asleep and hadn't shifted position in the armchair opposite. I can only suggest, it could be a network blip which might have affected my Internet connection. I hate unexplained occurrences.

Check the remote handsets don't have a stuck button to make them transmit all the time. There might also be a source of flickering IR in the room - a low-energy lamp or something.

Problems reported (which apply to IR handsets in general) include:
  • Obstructed line-of-sight;
  • Interfering sources of IR, eg incandescent lamps on dimmers or fluorescent lamps (including "compact fluorescent" energy efficient lamps);
  • Other handsets accidentally transmitting.
Note that it can still be an interfering source or other handset, even when it appears that the misbehaviour only occurs when the Humax handset is in use.

To test whether a handset is transmitting when expected (and not when not expected), view the emitter with a digital camera (eg the camera on a mobile phone). Digital cameras (not all - check with a known working remote) are sensitive to IR (Infra-Red) and the flashes will show up in the viewfinder (electronic, not optical). The iPad3 rear camera is not sensitive to IR but the front one is, so this is my favourite way to test IR handsets because it is like an IR-vision mirror.

Back