Guide Mutes Video and Audio On First Entry

IanA

Having just acquired an HDR I have a few questions to ask which I will post in separate threads. I must say at the start I'm most impressed with the unit even if it is not the latest in PVR's.

One annoyance with the HDR is that when you press the guide button the guide appears but the video and audio is stopped. If you don't press any buttons for a short period the video and audio return with the guide on top. Is it possible to set the guide to NOT do this mute and display the guide overlaid over the current channel as all other STB's I've used do?

Use the Schedule / Red, button sequence instead of the Guide button. This will prevent the EPG from updating which is what is killing the video and audio, since it needs the tuner to access the home transponder to do this.

Last edited:
Thanks very much. That explains the behaviour and I understand why it is so.

So easy when you know how! Much appreciated.

Having let this sink in a bit how does the guide stay up to date if you bypass the guide's update by the method you suggest? I've read on the forum about the unit doing "house keeping" at some point in time. Is this how the EPG is maintained when the user is not explicitly requesting it?

Yes, the box switches itself on at 3am to run what is called the housekeeping tasks, one of which is to update the EPG, then turns itself off again. That's why it's important to leave it in standby and not switch it off from the mains.

The freetime boxes don't suffer from this quirk, even the one with only one tuner. How is that? Why the problems with the Foxsat HDR?

Having let this sink in a bit how does the guide stay up to date if you bypass the guide's update by the method you suggest? I've read on the forum about the unit doing "house keeping" at some point in time. Is this how the EPG is maintained when the user is not explicitly requesting it?

The epg is constantly updated by data transmitted along with the channel data all the time the box is on in a similar way to a Freeview box, and stored in a cache, this includes the pre 15 minute period a box has when it wakes up to make an accurate recording. You can see this in action by resetting the box and then displaying the cached epg by the schedule red method. Initially there will be very few entries, eventually it will fully populate without having to download a whole new epg from the home transponder (that's what happens when you press guide). Try forcing tuner 1 to be tied up recording by pressing instant record. This means that tuner 1 cannot access the home transponder. Now press guide, the result is identical to using schedule red, an instant epg is loaded from the cached epg.

Back