Hard disk not found - replaced hard disk - Hard disk unmounted

You've not resolved the GPT/MBR issue for the new disk, but that is irrelevant for the old disk. If the old disk is OK but doesn't work in the HDR-FOX, obviously something else is to blame.

I am not sure what you mean. I have removed the partition completely. The new disk is not formatted as it does not have any partitions on it.

What does the new disk have after P/N 9GW132-???. If it has 191 or above it is SATA 2, if it has 012 then it is SATA 1 and appears not to work in Humax HDR-T2 . Check also the old disk number as well.

Well now we might be getting somewhere. Yes, the old disk is P/N 9GW132-191 and the new one is P/N 9GW132-012. Are we sure that a SATA 1 disk does not work in the T2?

I am using Partition Magic to view the disk.

My prefered tool for Winducks is MinTool Partition Wizard (available free), use that and it will immediatly tell you if the drive is in GPT or MBR setup and allow switching between. This has NOT to with formatting.

My prefered tool for Winducks is MinTool Partition Wizard (available free), use that and it will immediatly tell you if the drive is in GPT or MBR setup and allow switching between. This has NOT to with formatting.

OK, Partition Magic does the same thing. Having converted the disk to MBR the same as the old one it is still not recognised. I suspect that it is the SATA 1 / 2 issue that is more important. I will see whether I can get a SATA 2 disk.

If you want to play with the old drive then save the MBR to a file then clear it as i suggested above and try it again I have attached a file giving the process.
I trust you have checked the power supply for swollen capacitor tops as this can lead to voltage drops.

Attachments

• HummyTVHDDreplace.txt
    1.4 KB · Views: 7
If I telnet into the box and use the ls -d /sys/block/sd? as suggested above I get a standard "No such file or directory".
If that returns an error, as it does for you, then the disk is not usable by the Linux kernel.
People blathering on endlessly about MBR vs. GPT vs. blank really should keep quiet. You cannot read the first sector off a non-existent disk.
This is why the above command is so useful, as it tells you immediately where the problem is not.
But nobody listens. They just carry on with their own pre-conceived ignorance.

Just an update. I have removed the partitions on the old disk and replaced it in the T2. It recognises the disk and asks me to format it. I have done this and it formats correctly to 3 partitions. I am running fixdisk with the -P option as it failed with LBA errors to start with.

Is there a list of recommended new hard disks anywhere? with Part Numbers etc. I think I will need to replace this disk.

Is there a list of recommended new hard disks anywhere? with Part Numbers etc. I think I will need to replace this disk.

Seagate ST1000VM002 1TB or Seagate ST2000VM003 2TB. I have the 2TB drive and it has been faultless so far with about 25,000 power on hours.

As suggested in this thread, I bought a new Seagate ST2000VM003 2TB installed it in the T2 with no partitions on it, i.e. allocated space and it just worked. It was recognised and asked if I wished to format it. Voila, it is done. My original 500mb disk has failed.

Back