hard drive failure?

ian_e

Hello

I hope everyone had a safe and happy Christmas.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to try and fix my Humax recorder. I have had it for about 8 years and it has been largely trouble free until just before Christmas. When I tried to access my recordings it came up with the message that the disk needed formatting. I tried turning it on and off again and could hear the hard drive trying to spin up but just making a clunking noise instead.

Is there anyway I can fix it (bearing in mind I'm not that technically minded) or get it fixed?
Failing that, is there a relatively simple way to get the recordings off the box?
What would you recommend I replace it with?

All suggestions welcome and thanks for your help

Best wishes

Ian

making a clunking noise
That does not bode well.

Is there anyway I can fix it (bearing in mind I'm not that technically minded) or get it fixed?
I doubt it, bearing in mind your (unspecified) box is HDR-1000S series and not HDR-FOX (where we can do pretty much anything).

Failing that, is there a relatively simple way to get the recordings off the box?
Even if there is, it isn't going to work if the HDD has failed.

Replace the HDR-1XXXS, or replace the HDD?

I think you would be able to replace the HDD, and comments here (click) might be useful (but bear in mind the detail is for HDR-FOX). However, you have to weigh up the cost (and risk) of replacing the HDD against the cost of replacing the whole thing.

PS: In the absence of any other information about the exact model of HDD fitted in a HDR-1XXXS (I haven't looked), you would be well advised to inspect the actual item before placing any orders.

Last edited:
Hello

I hope everyone had a safe and happy Christmas.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to try and fix my Humax recorder. I have had it for about 8 years and it has been largely trouble free until just before Christmas. When I tried to access my recordings it came up with the message that the disk needed formatting. I tried turning it on and off again and could hear the hard drive trying to spin up but just making a clunking noise instead.

All suggestions welcome and thanks for your help

Best wishes

Ian
easy to do. i just replaced mine this morning. Any SATA HDD works

But some are more suitable for the task than others.
I agree, but if he just needs to prove whether its the HDD or something else, any will do. A lower speed drive would be more suitable possibly a seagate skyhawk drive

Last edited:
Back