hard drive swop/upgrade post customised upgrade

beastman

I've put the custom firmware on and all seems good, just getting my head around the various functions and what I can do with it. So newbie question......I was thinking of putting in a 2.5 laptop drive as its likely (well hopefully) going to be much quieter. (the existing drive does thud a bit when recording). Does the firmware live on the hard disk and therefore will I need to put the new drive in and format it and start from scratch?

Also one other schoolboy question please. I've taken the box apart to have a good nosey around, left it a few days, come back and realised I have 3 of the big screws for putting the top back on as you would exoect but I also have 4 small screws (about 4mm long) lying around that I think are for the Humax but I can't see where they go! .I have messing about with other electrics so they could be for something else though......can anyone clarify?

thanks

I was thinking of putting in a 2.5 laptop drive as its likely (well hopefully) going to be much quieter. (the existing drive does thud a bit when recording).
Why don't you mount your box on vibration absorbing feet? LIKE THESE. I have and I can't hear my HDD at all, but my hearing is not up to Superman standards.

I've put the custom firmware on and all seems good, just getting my head around the various functions and what I can do with it. So newbie question......I was thinking of putting in a 2.5 laptop drive as its likely (well hopefully) going to be much quieter. (the existing drive does thud a bit when recording). Does the firmware live on the hard disk and therefore will I need to put the new drive in and format it and start from scratch?

Also one other schoolboy question please. I've taken the box apart to have a good nosey around, left it a few days, come back and realised I have 3 of the big screws for putting the top back on as you would exoect but I also have 4 small screws (about 4mm long) lying around that I think are for the Humax but I can't see where they go! .I have messing about with other electrics so they could be for something else though......can anyone clarify?

thanks
Firstly, are you sure it is the hard drive making the annoying noise, and not the fan? As standard, the fan does nothing until the disk temperature hits about 55°C then it comes on and makes quite a racket. There is a custom firmware package called 'Fan' which allows you to have the fan on all the time at a user-configurable speed. You can set it to a lower, quieter speed which prevents it needing to run at high speed.
The core custom firmware is in flash but a lot of it is on the disk. If you replace the HDD, you can format the new one using the remote control handset (if 2TB or smaller) and then when you navigate to IP address of the unit on a web browser you will have to reinstall the full web interface and most of your packages and settings.
If you do change to a 2.5 inch disk, ideally pick one which is designed for video recording/ PVR use. You will also need a 2.5 to 3.5 inch caddy adapter to secure the smaller drive in the unit.
Are the four screws the ones that attach the black plastic disk caddy & fan housing to the casing?

Firstly, are you sure it is the hard drive making the annoying noise, and not the fan? As standard, the fan does nothing until the disk temperature hits about 55°C then it comes on and makes quite a racket. There is a custom firmware package called 'Fan' which allows you to have the fan on all the time at a user-configurable speed. You can set it to a lower, quieter speed which prevents it needing to run at high speed.
The core custom firmware is in flash but a lot of it is on the disk. If you replace the HDD, you can format the new one using the remote control handset (if 2TB or smaller) and then when you navigate to IP address of the unit on a web browser you will have to reinstall the full web interface and most of your packages and settings.
If you do change to a 2.5 inch disk, ideally pick one which is designed for video recording/ PVR use. You will also need a 2.5 to 3.5 inch caddy adapter to secure the smaller drive in the unit.
Are the four screws the ones that attach the black plastic disk caddy & fan housing to the casing?

Thanks. Yes its definitely the drive, not the fan. I'm noticing the chatter/thuddingh noise more as the case/cover is off. (the fan addon is mighty cool, pun intended)
Sounds easy enough to change drives then, I take it then a swap means no further flashing is needed, just an easy, less stressy, web app/addon update.
I've been multitasking with other kit so I guess those screws are from something else - the disk caddy and housing are bigger silver screws, the ones I have are quite smaller and black.

Back