Hard drive temperature - very hot

I've just removed the 1Tb hard drive from my HDR-Fox T2 to upgrade it to 2Tb, and noticed that the disk was extremely hot. Just about OK to hold but not very comfortably. Since the previous HDD on the machine failed, I'm concerned that the disk fan is not operating as it should. Is there any way of checking?

Hot to the touch is not necessarily damagingly hot. The SMART stats (available via WebIF >> Diagnostics) will report history, and the sysmon package provides live monitoring. The fan package can also help - by setting a minimum fan speed rather than letting it turn off completely.

To test the fan, see Commissioning an HDR-FOX (click)

If you install the Custom Firmware you can monitor the temerature of the HDD and also install a package to control the fan speed
Edit
Not even second this time :)

Do you have the Custom Firmware installed? There is a disc temp mon in it, and a package that allows you to run the fan continuously at a selected speed so that the disc stays a lot cooler. The default fan does not come on until the temp is 55 degrees.

EDIT. You were second. I was third:laugh:

Hmmm....I have a new problem - "cannot format the hard disk - the capacity is too large". It's a WD 2TB drive
I'm running Custom Firmware 1.03.12_mod_3.12
???

I've tried rebooting but it didn't help. I also lost the web if, and was prompted to download it again. Have started another thread re. the problem formatting the drive

I've just had these alerts in the first hour after installing the drive:
5/04/2017 13:39:02 - Temperature 50 exceeds alert threshold 50.
05/04/2017 13:48:03 - Temperature 52 exceeds alert threshold 50.
05/04/2017 13:45:01 - Temperature 51 exceeds alert threshold 50.

???

If you have the fan package running and the min speed set to about 50% then, no it doesn't. Hang a bit of paper over the fan outlet and see if it is blown out indicating that the fan is actually working. Or if tou have the case off, use the Mk. 1 eyeball.
Just checked mine and it's running at 38 deg C with a 50% fan and the box is doing a lot of file type conversion with the CPU continuous at about 65% and the disk thrashing away doing the conversion.

I've swapped in the HDD enclosure & fan from my old Foxsat HDR. So far it's gone from 42C to 43C in the last 15 minutes, and the fan is off (I have it set to a minimum speed of 50% in the fan package settings). Ill keep an eye on it.....

Just thinking....if I've set the minimum fan speed to 50% should the fan be still showing as "off" on the HDD temperative diag page of the web if?? If I put my hand behind the rear vent I can feel warm air, but it's hard to tell if the fans is actually spinning.

Well:
a set minspeed to zero and see if it's any different, or
b use the strip of paper trick, or
c set minspeed to 100%, you will hear it then.

The paper strip test tells me that the fan is running, so I guess the sysmon HDD temperature page isn't reporting the fan behaviour correctly. Drive temp currently 46C (from 41C about 50 mins ago). I think I'm developing drive temp paranoia. Is there a guideline for "normal" operating temperature range when the machine is power on but doing nothing in particular?

Sysmon does not tell you whether the fan is actually running, it only tells you what the fan is predicted to be doing based on what we know about how the Humax firmware responds to the SMART data (which is, as far as we know, the only means it has to monitor the case temperature).

Ah that explains it - thanks. So I upped the min fan speed to 100% and the drive has plunged to a decidely chilly 38C. I think my paranoia has subsided :0)

Now back it off to about 50-60% and see what happens. Like I said above, mine runs at 38-40 with fan minspeed at 57% With a Seagate 2TB drive.

Back