Closed Poll Have you had problems recording the new HD channels?

Problems recording the new HD channels: which transmitter? Reply if not listed

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes, but that's what the "fix" is supposed to sort out. The proposition is that the original fault is caused by a service being off air at the tuning event.

BUT ... haven't some people reported their boxes sometimes recording OK on, say, BBC3 HD and then another time failing on the same? I thought that was one of the problems with diagnosing the issue as it was apparently random.
Who wants to trawl through all the previous posts to check?? .... :)

Leave me out of it, I'm only noting down what I have gathered from the conversation as clarification!

@mikesh.... I've not spotted anyone having a failed recording if they watch first, then red button, and subsequently record on AR on the same channel. Mine has certainly been reliable.

As I said earlier, I don't think it has to be an instant recording. Ours was 'fixed' by live watching while an existing AR recording ran. So if you have a recording set up, just switching to that channel for a few seconds during it might be enough.
I would agree that I don't think it has to be an instant recording. I have no doubt that watch/red button record/watch does work and if you have this problem then this cure will work.

I also think watching the channel live is important. Something else done when watching the channel live is significant whether red button record or otherwise.

This reminds me of chance vs probability problems in math (it is still called maths?).

Initially the problem was thought to be random. Initially it was thought to be related to certain regions (Hence this poll ...). The problem was not random! If every box that tuned into the new services had it,by the time people realised there was a problem was the cure applied to most hdrs? Would you call this cure random?

How many people red button record HD channels while watching them live?

What is the probability that most boxes affected by this problem were cured by watching the channel live and instant recording?

This reminds me of chance vs probability problems in math (it is still called maths?).
Yes, unless you were educated in America. They abbreviate "mathematics" to "math", we abbreviate it to "maths". They also miss the second "i" out of aluminium (but the Enterprise Car Hire advert gets that wrong!).

Math or Maths. I get the point. When I say math it sounds like maths! But I should be more careful with my typing!!

I have been test-recording BBC3HD and BBC4HD on my standard HD-Fox and HDR-Fox since 15/12/13. I had not tuned previously nor since that day (to obtain COM7).

I instant-recorded Great Movie Mistakes on BBC3HD for a few minutes on my HD and then set HD AR recordings for both BBC3HD and BBC4HD. The BBC3HD recordings were ok but the BBC4HD recording failed. The same recordings on my HDR were unsuccesful.

Over the next 2 nights the HD-Fox recordings of BBC3HD programmes were ok but all the others failed.

On 18/12/13 I instant-recorded BBC4HD on the HD-Fox and both channels on the HDR-Fox for 30 minutes.

On 19/12/13 the HD-Fox failed to record BBC4HD but the HDR-Fox recorded both channels correctly.

On 20/12/13 both the HD-Fox and the HDR-Fox recorded both channels correctly.

Since that time all test recordings have been successful using series recordings of Family Guy (15 episodes), The Bridge I & II (19 episodes), American Dad (34 episodes) plus additional single recordings (16 programmes).

I have now deleted all timers and will stop recording the channels unless there are programmes I wish to see - the first on the HD-Fox being on Sunday - Space Shuttle: The Final Mission on BBC3HD. This was set up via the EPG from the BBC3 row and acceptance of the HD option.

Martin

I did a retune recently to try something else.

Yesterday I had a failed recording on CBBC HD.
I tuned into CBBC HD live and left the box on that channel for an hour. (No recording or other activity on the box at the time).

This morning I had a failed recording on CBBC HD.

This proves that tuning in to the failed channel alone is inadequate.

This morning, after a failed recording I then tuned into CBBC HD live and then played a recorded programme and stopped it. I then let CBBC HD on for several minutes to allow the EPG refresh. I then switched the channel to BBC1. Subsequent CBBC files recorded properly.

Playback of any file while tuned into the affected channel live also seems to work! I.e.no instant recording in this instance.

I have noticed,tuning into multiple regions, that the EPG is updated after a file already recorded is played. (It happens after the program ends or after interrupting playback by pressing the stop button). Perhaps this process when watching the HD channel live is relavent and by tuning into the affected channel and then watching and stopping another file (including stopping instant recordings) boxes were randomly cured.

I would suggest that the majority of boxes were cured randomly in this way.

Anybody having problems with Channel 4 EPG, my humax has no entries for next Saturday for both Channel 4 SD and HD.
Sutton Coldfield transmitter.

EDIT: I should have been more precise, "no entries after 06:10 Saturday morning" as per BH in next post.

Ditto. It currently terminates at 0610 Saturday morning (other channels show until midnight Sunday). Mendip.

Back