HD-Fox T2 Portal Access Issues

Even if nothing else works this should:

On your PC open a command prompt and type IPCONFIG. This will give you (amongst other things) what IP address the PC is using. Use a cross-over Ethernet cable (preferably proven) or a straight cable with a cross-over adapter (a straight cable on its own SHOULD work but let's not make any assumptions) and connect the PC directly to the Humax. If you get no lights on the Ethernet port you are definitely in trouble.

On the Humax LAN settings set up a manual IP address the same as the PC IP address in every detail except the last group (0-255), with the same subnet mask (probably 255.255.255.0).

Now try Ping. If it doesn't ping you have problems.

Yes there are several 'layers' of complexity in getting the LAN working but the LEDs are number 1, If you can use the same LAN cable to get 'two-way' communication, say from your laptop to the router ( router should show LEDS on) then you should get a green LED on the awake Humax when connected to the LAN. Looks like you may need a replacement, if there are any Standard Def. programs you want to keep you can copy them to a USB drive, Hi-Def won't work I'm afraid

How could he ever get 'LEDs' from Humax to P.C. but not Humax to router, they would either both work or both not

How could he ever get 'LEDs' from Humax to P.C. but not Humax to router, they would either both work or both not
Some cable faults can cause this. A lot of Ethernet hardware will show link lights as long as a link pulse is being received.

I've even taken advantage if this in the past to make one-way cables for IDS sensors, picking up link pulses from spare ports to keep everything happy.

Even if nothing else works this should:

On your PC open a command prompt and type IPCONFIG. This will give you (amongst other things) what IP address the PC is using. Use a cross-over Ethernet cable (preferably proven) or a straight cable with a cross-over adapter (a straight cable on its own SHOULD work but let's not make any assumptions) and connect the PC directly to the Humax. If you get no lights on the Ethernet port you are definitely in trouble.

On the Humax LAN settings set up a manual IP address the same as the PC IP address in every detail except the last group (0-255), with the same subnet mask (probably 255.255.255.0).

Now try Ping. If it doesn't ping you have problems.
Oh I have problems. The LED lights are not even registering at all with or without the cable. Still, it is in warranty so I'm just gonna give Humax a call to get it replaced.

More time wasted. Not a happy chappy at all.

Thanks anyway guys. You have been awesome :D

I have seen cases where the LED lights even though the cable is faulty, due to the wrong twisted pairs being terminated e.g. twisted pair 1+2 should be :

1 .. 1--------------------------------------1 .. 1
. . . . . . . . X . . . Twisted pair . . . X
2 .. 2 -------------------------------------2 .. 2

but this also lights LEDS

1 .. 1------------------------------------1 .. 1
. . . . . X . . . Not a twisted pair . . . X
2 .. 3-----------------------------------3 .. 2

This works on short cables, but not on long cables. However If the LEDs don't light at all, It's not good

Oh I have problems. The LED lights are not even registering at all with or without the cable. Still, it is in warranty so I'm just gonna give Humax a call to get it replaced.

More time wasted. Not a happy chappy at all.

Thanks anyway guys. You have been awesome :D

The green LED should only light for a good 'link' so you shouldn't expect the humax light LED to light unless cabled to a working router / Laptop etc.

If you purchased directly from Humax obviously it will have to go back to them, but if you got it from a shop, then the shop should exchange it

Agreed, but fundamentals of hardware debugging: reduce to the simplest possible scenario.

Yes, but it’s hardly helpful to tell someone to obtain (possibly buy) a crossover LAN cable that they don’t need just to prove something they already know

Back