HD T2 or WDTV?

Cancunia

I was looking on fleabay for a HDT2 and suddenly thought about a media player instead. I have an HDR T2 and need a second media player, but am not really needing Freeview. Looks as though the WDTV, at least in later versions will do quite a lot of stuff including a fairly wide ranging TV Portal.

Thoughts, comments, problems related to this idea etc welcome.

Thanks

I did wonder if there might be some compatibility issues. what might be the problems? It would mostly be the HDR that I'd be streaming from.

Thanks

The problem is that we know the HD-FOX will stream from the HDR-FOX, StDef and HiDef, without modification, but have no idea about the WDTV (unless anybody has tried one?).

Embedded DLNA media players in smart TVs have had a hard time with the Humax files, there have been methods developed to massage the files and make them more friendly to the players but that is definitely in the custom firmware territory. The WDTV may be better, but at the moment I don't know.

Streaming HiDef recordings almost definitely won't work (without custom firmware unlocking), because these are delivered using a negotiated protected stream and at present the HD/HDR-FOX is the only client I know of able to do this.

So, in a nut shell, HD-FOX will work out of the box, WDTV will require some work with no guarantee of success.

The problem is that we know the HD-FOX will stream from the HDR-FOX, StDef and HiDef, without modification, but have no idea about the WDTV (unless anybody has tried one?).

Embedded DLNA media players in smart TVs have had a hard time with the Humax files, there have been methods developed to massage the files and make them more friendly to the players but that is definitely in the custom firmware territory. The WDTV may be better, but at the moment I don't know.

Streaming HiDef recordings almost definitely won't work (without custom firmware unlocking), because these are delivered using a negotiated protected stream and at present the HD/HDR-FOX is the only client I know of able to do this.

So, in a nut shell, HD-FOX will work out of the box, WDTV will require some work with no guarantee of success.
Thanks Black Hole. I did some searching over on the HDR T2 CF part of the forum and a couple of mentions came up, so will start another thread over there.

Have you thought about an RPi? A lot more fiddling around I know, but completely configurable with the full library of Linux media players behind you - the guys had had it streaming from the HDR, and it will access any and all browser-based catchup TV services...

Back