HDD functions disabled after auto standby/power on

IanH64

Replacement unit, first on suffered the same and replaced.

500GB unit. We auto shutdown at 1am and auto power up at 6am.

After this, no functions relating to hard drive are available.

Needs a manual standby cycle to recover.

Common issue or will it be third time lucky if we get unit replaced? Could it be a faulty batch or slight change of spec thats going to need a f/w update to resolve.

Our 9200 at home has never had any issues other than dodgy remote.

Last edited:
I suggest phoning Humax Technical support and seeing what they say.
"Nobody else has reported this" they'll lie through their teeth, trying to make out it's your fault rather than theirs.
These 2000T boxes do rather seem to exhibit characteristics of yellow citrus fruit.

Humax support suggested a reset and hard disc reformat. Didn't sort the problem so guess its another 1hr special trip to return the unit. I did a HDD test prior to reformat and no errors were reported.

Its really concerning that two units exhibit same issue yet Humax effectively put it down to bad luck. If they turned round and said, yes, known fault with a batch, I would have been ok with it, but two units exhibiting the same fault of a kind not known by Humax is troublesome and make one feel a proxy for their Q/A dept.

All i can say is that they are in last chance saloon, especially since they deny that there is no issue with the quality of their remote controls - on my 2000t at home the remote is dodgy after little over a year and it sounds like a common fault amongst 2000t users. To add insult to injury, replacement remote is circa £30 and i bet that will last a year also.

Wish i had read about these issues before embarking on a second 2000t. With 3 previous 9200t's installed without issue within reasonable amount of time, the dodgy remote could have been forgiven as a one off, but this weeks issues brings 2000t failure rate within 18 months to an unacceptable 100% with sample set of 3.

Last edited:
Humax support suggested a reset and hard disc reformat. Didn't sort the problem...
This is their cure all solution. It is just never going to fix the problem that you are experiencing.
Its really concerning that two units exhibit same issue yet Humax effectively put it down to bad luck. If they turned round and said, yes, known fault with a batch, I would have been ok with it, but two units exhibiting the same fault of a kind not known by Humax is troublesome and make one feel a proxy for their Q/A dept.
See my previous comment.

If anyone else is suffering the same, see image for how to check for the problem.

This relates to the unit automatically coming out of standby (not tried recording a program from standby but certainly affects the auto power on setting having been in standby for more than a few minutes - short time in standby, it seems to be ok). It does not appear to be affected by using the remote to bring unit out of standby, thats seems good.

Anything relating to HDD is either greyed out, blocked or simply ignored. To clear, unit needs to manually go into standby then manual (remote) on again.

Tbh, i wonder if there is a change in spec of hdd and it just needs a bit more time to wake up/come out of park.

Certainly comments on first blaming it on others ring true.Humax support suggested that unit was exchanged with exactly same unit i had sent back - i then pointed out that it was exchanged infront of me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
It is possible to insert an image into your post directly using the 'Upload a file' option, or even simpler by 'copy and paste' as in the image below, with the first option, you can also insert a thumbnail if the image is too large

upload_2015-7-16_10-44-35.png

Fingers crossed, its third time lucky.

We decided not to risk a problematic batch/design change from Jown Lewis so in parallel, bought a unit from Argos - as a 2yr warranty is supplied with the unit, the JL 2yr warranty was unnecessary.

The Argos unit is clearly an older unit as it was supplied with v1.00.07 with JL units supplied with v1.01.13.

Well I say third time lucky, but there is a slight concern over signal strength. On most recent unit, signal strength is ~65 where as on later units, it was ~90. I dont know if this is a firmware difference or not, but so far, thankfully we have not seen any artifacts as a result.

Last edited:
Well I say third time lucky, but there is a slight concern over signal strength. On most recent unit, signal strength is ~65 where as on later units, it was ~90. I dont know if this is a firmware difference or not, but so far, thankfully we have not seen any artifacts as a result.
The reported signal strength readings increased at 1.01.06; I don't know whether this was due to a recalibration or an increase in the internal amplification.

Definitely seen this issue multiple times in 1.01.13. When I had power saving in standby turned off (to enable the RF pass through to work) the box would not power up from standby and needed power cycling - the first time the HDD was not recognised (in fact didn't even spin up). Also if the box reboots (due to software bugs) then I have had times when the HDD is not recognised and needs a power cycle. Humax deny any issues and suggest it's just my box.

Back