HDD now not recognised on HD Fox T2?

Colossae3.23

Hi,

I have been recording to a 1TB HDD since late 2012, but yesterday the HD Fox T2, stopped seeing it. Tried unplugging and then a factory reset, but still no joy. The HDD was quite full, probably about 24MB left, but it has been fuller than this before and not had this problem.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to do. I really don't want to lose the files on the HDD, so I'm not keen on reformatting it. Besides, I can't format it anyway, because it doesn't show up on the list in Data Storage.

Thanks,
Bill

Do you have the custom firmware installed? If so we will be able to talk you through getting in to the command line and running some diagnostics to see what's wrong.

Do you have the custom firmware installed? If so we will be able to talk you through getting in to the command line and running some diagnostics to see what's wrong.

No, I don't sorry. Can I move those files to a Win 10 laptop, then try to format the Ex. HDD to Ext3 again, and then move the files back on it?

I know I can't play these files on Windows, but can I move them, store them and reload the HDD?

Yes, as long as you keep the .ts (video) file complete with its sidecar files (at least the .hmt, preferably the .nts as well).

Note that you might need to give Windows some help to access the Ext3-formatted drive.

Alternatively, if you feel intrepid, load custom firmware now and we'll see what can be done from the command line.

Yes, as long as you keep the .ts (video) file complete with its sidecar files (at least the .hmt, preferably the .nts as well).

Note that you might need to give Windows some help to access the Ext3-formatted drive.

Alternatively, if you feel intrepid, load custom firmware now and we'll see what can be done from the command line.

Think I'll try the custom firmware. Nothing to lose. Can you please point me to the instructions? I know I've seen them, but not sure where. Thanks

Thanks mate. Slightly confused by the versions. I'm on the factory version 1.02.28, and my hardware has the vertical tuner port configuration. Going by that does it matter which version I install? Also, the unit doesn't have internet connection. It's too far from the phone box. Is an internet connection necessary, if so, would a temporary connection be suitable to just sort out the disk?

Thanks

Thanks mate. Slightly confused by the versions. I'm on the factory version 1.02.28, and my hardware has the vertical tuner port configuration. Going by that does it matter which version I install?
I suggest HD_FOX_T2_1.02.31_mod_3.03

Also, the unit doesn't have internet connection. It's too far from the phone box. Is an internet connection necessary, if so, would a temporary connection be suitable to just sort out the disk?
An Internet connection is necessary to install the full custom firmware but the install from USB would be enough to give telnet access but this will require a temporary connection either to your router or direct to the PC.

Hi, got firmware installed. Connected to internet. Accessed TelNet through PuTTY. Chose option 1 (Maintenance Mode) Box rebooted, ran TelNet again, now option 1 says: "cat: can't open '/sys/block/sda/removable' : No such file or directory"

Is there a diag code that I can run? I have looked for a code on the Wiki before asking, but can't find anything.

Thanks again

Does your USB adapter get recognised if plugged in to a PC?
no, it doesn't show in Win 1o or Win 7. Thinking I need to load a 3rd party app to see it. Installed Ext2Fsd last night on Win 10, still no joy. I've been reading that Win 10 doesn't do well with Linux files. Win 7 machine is at work, so I need find out if our IT guy will let me load a 3rd party app, as I don't have admin rights.

But that would deprive us interested lurkers of the final outcome and how it was resolved.:(
no problem. This stuff is way over my head and I figured I'd need to ask loads of questions, so I was afraid of clogging the thread with dialogue. But, I'm happy to stay public if it helps others.

no, it doesn't show in Win 1o or Win 7. Thinking I need to load a 3rd party app to see it. Installed Ext2Fsd last night on Win 10, still no joy. I've been reading that Win 10 doesn't do well with Linux files. Win 7 machine is at work, so I need find out if our IT guy will let me load a 3rd party app, as I don't have admin rights.
Ext2FSD works fine on Windows 10 for me, though I have seen problems reported. You have to start it manually, it doesn't autorun. Open the program, start the service and then plug in the USB drive: hit 'refresh' if you don't see the drive listed. The drive should be listed as 'ext3'. If not you have a problem: try ejecting and reloading. There are good, free, alternatives to Ext2FSD like this one from Paragon you could try if you are still having problems.

Back