HDD problem?

Buy a new hdd. Not worth the hassle or the risk in trying to prolong the life of your hdd with the poblems yours is exhibiting. Brand new 1TB seagate replacement for £43.

Current situation: I disconnected the internal HDD last night, and all is going well, seemingly back to "as new" performance. There is no sign of the freezing problem.

All the signs are that the original 500GB disk is in its death throes, so my next move is to replace it with a new 1TB drive. That will be done in the next couple of days. I will watch how things go for a few days, then post an update.

I am most grateful to the forum members who have shared their expertise over the last few days.

Current situation: I disconnected the internal HDD last night, and all is going well, seemingly back to "as new" performance. There is no sign of the freezing problem.

All the signs are that the original 500GB disk is in its death throes, so my next move is to replace it with a new 1TB drive.
Good luck; looking forward to hear how it works out.

Progress report: yes, much progress.
The final use of the original HDD was interesting; a 60-minute programme resulted in a 52-minute recording. When viewed, there were several gaps and several other periods when the picture on playback was badly fragmented. That led me to realise that an occasional past problem with picture break-up on recordings was very likely another manifestation of the failing HDD. (We are about 15 miles from Sandy Heath and have a good signal; problems with live TV are very rare).

The new 1GB Seagate HDD went in a few days ago; all very easy, formatted very quickly, in only 3 or 4 minutes, to my surprise. We have now had some days of satisfactory operation, including recording and playback, but there seem to be a few residual issues.

First, startup sometimes hangs after the standby button light changes from orange to blue, but before reaching the stage of displaying the Humax logo on the screen. Off/on has, so far, resolved the problem.

Secondly, the TV sometimes restarts on Ch250 (BBC Red Button) irrespective of the Ch in use at shutdown. As far as I know, I have not done anything to provoke this.

Finally, when I used the CF interface for the first time a few minutes ago, a warning of HDD possible problems flashed up - not what I expected with a new HDD. So, I have attached a copy of the SMART data.

Any comments on these points would be appreciated.

Attachments

• jkphumax03.pdf
    31.8 KB · Views: 4
Finally, when I used the CF interface for the first time a few minutes ago, a warning of HDD possible problems flashed up - not what I expected with a new HDD. So, I have attached a copy of the SMART data.
I don't see anything wrong in the SMART data. Is it possible that the error message was associated with the previous hard drive?

Martin,
Thank you. I saw no cause for concern, but appreciate your more expert assessment. Yes, the message could be from the old HDD. I have just gone into the web interface again and no alarm came up.

I think the HHD warning may be a bug in the CFW. Yesterday I did a CFW reset which basically cleaned everything out except a welcome screen. I then pressed the button to reload the actual CFW and once that had been done it immediately threw up a warning about the disk.
There were no problems apparent with it before or after the reset, so I just acknowledged it. (The disk is the original 1TB that came in the box.)

Final report:

We have now had about 2 weeks' experience with the new HDD. The residual issues mentioned in my post #24 above have been resolved. The hung start has not recurred, the Red Button issue I now understand, and the new HDD is fine. Performance as new has been restored, but with the benefit of a 1TB disk rather than 500GB.

So, once again, I wish to thank those on the forum who have contributed their knowledge to help to solve the problem. I appreciate your great help.

Job done! Thank you all.

Back