HDD Problem

peterpi

I checked the T2 today and had a HDD warning. I initiated a Telnet session and I'm running fixdisk. It seems to be stopping a lot and I'm prompted with <Do you wish to attempt repair of the bad block? [Y/N]:>. I select yes and after a short time I'm prompted again. Could I remove the drive and automatically fix the disk whilst it's mounted in a caddy, connected to a Windows 10 PC or one running Linux Ubuntu, Mint ETC ?

Pete

Thanks for your swift response. Typical, for the last half hour it hasn't missed a beat.

If it plays up again, I'll include the -y.

Pete

Checked again this morning and got the following warning. I've also included the original one I had.

Checking on the box I only see empty folders and I'm advise to format the drive. On the web IF see the folders and their contents but if I try to download I get <192.168.1.89 refused to connect>. I am able to download stuff that is not in a folder. Should I enter maintenance mode and run fixdisk-y?

Original

Hummy 1.jpg

Today

Hummy 2.jpg

That doesn't look good. Fixdisk might help, but don't be surprised if it is only temporary. You should look for a replacement HDD sooner rather than later.

The drive was installed in August 2017 but until I open it up I don't know what make it is. When I find out I'll post the info as it may be of interest if/that it's become unreliable in three years.

It's dong a long test at the moment so I'm inclined to get a replacement and move the files if I can access them

Pete

until I open it up I don't know what make it is
You can run the following from a command prompt to get this info: smartctl -i /dev/sda
move the files if I can access them
I would suggest you don't write to it any more at all before you've copied stuff off.

(You've posted in the wrong forum section as well, as it's clearly customised.)

You can run the following from a command prompt to get this info: smartctl -i /dev/sda

I would suggest you don't write to it any more at all before you've copied stuff off.

(You've posted in the wrong forum section as well, as it's clearly customised.)

Very good advice about not writing to it as it didn't occur to me until you mentioned it.

If the thread can be shifted that'll be OK with me.

Thanks
Pete

How about one of these "Surveillance" drives
For "surveillance" read "security"

Desktop/server PC HDDs are optimised for fast random access and high burst data rate, with a high spindle speed (therefore high power). PVR HDDs do not need fast random access, and a moderate but sustained data rate, so a PVR-optimised HDD is optimised for sustained data rate and has a low spindle speed to reduce heat and energy cost. Security CCTV drives are typically optimised to start up quickly for motion-sensing recording and then shut down again. Notebook HDDs might be designed to protect themselves from drops by parking their heads whenever they are not actively transferring data.

Looks OK to me provided that it can be 'throttled back' to suit the Fox T2 if neccessary.

It has been reported both here and elsewhere that people have had problems with WD drive transfer speed being too fast. Apparently the 'fix' is to short a couple of jumpers together to 'throttle it back' a bit (I think pins 5 & 6 but don't take that as gospel.).
I can't find it just now, (and Coro calls) but I think GLT mentioned it either here or on MyHumax (Sorry for swearing) pretty recently.

= "GLT on MyHumax" TUE 4 AUG 2020 15:21:34 #6
You need a AV specced drive like a Seagate Pipeline or a WD drive that can be speed reduced to sata 3 using a jumper on pins 5 & 6.
eg
https://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/disc/iguides/Desktop/Barracuda 7200.10/100402372a.pdf
See the section re-reducing transfer speed to 1.5 Gbps.
5400 rpm drives designed for surveillance recording may well work OK
{My bold}

Last edited:
We've already established that the HDR Fox T2 won't work with 1.5 Gbps, so I don't really know why you are advocating slugging drives to do so.
The quoted reference is for a different (older?) machine entirely.
A drive that is capable of 6 Gbps works perfectly well on the T2 at 3 Gbps. Here's the Seagate ST2000VM003 2TB one on one of my machines:
Code:
ATA Version is:   ACS-2, ACS-3 T13/2161-D revision 3b
SATA Version is:  SATA 3.1, 6.0 Gb/s (current: 3.0 Gb/s)

(It doesn't help when GLT incorrectly witters on about SATA 6 and SATA 3 either, which just confuses things between SATA 1, SATA 2 and SATA 3.)

For completeness, here's the original Pipeline HD 5900.2 drive:
Code:
ATA Version is:   ATA8-ACS T13/1699-D revision 4
SATA Version is:  SATA 2.6, 3.0 Gb/s (current: 3.0 Gb/s)

So could someone recommend a suitable drive please? In the meantime I'll check out the Seagate ST2000VM003 2TB .

Pete

EDIT: This is the drive that is in there now. Done three years, almost to the day.

Last edited:
Back