HDHomeRun DVR.

sceptic

Forum Supporter
I came across THIS Kickstarter project the other day and thought it might be of interest to Hummy users. I quite like the idea of network attached tuners and being able to record directly to my NAS...

I think they have missed a trick.

Why is is necessary to run the record engine on the NAS? What's wrong with running the record engine on the network-attached tuner unit and telling it where (on the network) to store the recording? Possibly they have envisioned the PVR element as a bit of software that runs independently of an existing network tuner, but it seems to me that a software upgrade to the network tuner would be more effective.

Why does there need to be a dedicated app for accessing the recordings - won't any media player (capable of accessing network storage, and TS-compatible) do?

I also notice this:
get a 1 year subscription to the DVR service ($30 value)
What does that mean??? Is this not a one-off purchase then?

So, for $199 (roughly the price of a HDR-FOX) I can get a twin-tuner T2 UK receiver that can be accessed across the network, and be backing the development of some software that runs on a NAS to record stuff and requires an annual subscription. I can already do all that (more or less) with a HDR-FOX plus CF - and I have four of them!

Looks like the yearly subscription covers a number of things including the 14day guide data. Tivo also used to charge for this. It does seem rather pricey but it is encouraging to see a UK launch, as products like these don't normally don't get released over here...

Back