HDR-1100S and Eurosport app

GT2021

Hi all. I'm thinking of getting a Eurosport subscription but I'm not sure whether it will work with the above Freesat box Is there a way to add Eurosport to the Humax menu along with YouTube, Netflix etc? Or if not then can I cast the Europlayer app from my phone to the TV as I can with YouTube for example. Or do I need some sort of dongle to watch on TV. I don't want to get the subscription if I can't watch it on TV. My TV is a non smart Panasonic but it is connected to my WiFi.

can I cast the Europlayer app from my phone to the TV as I can with YouTube
My TV is a non smart Panasonic but it is connected to my WiFi.
Those two statements appear to be mutually contradictory. I don't see how a "non-smart" TV can be a destination for casting, unless you mean it has some smart features but no installable apps.

So far as I can tell, Eurosport is only carried on Freesat in German, otherwise you need a Sky subscription and a Sky receiver box. The non-Sky way to obtain Eurosport is by Internet streaming services for which you will need an app on a smart TV or a plug-in dongle such as the NowTV unit, but if (as you say) you are able to cast from your phone then the Europlayer app (and a Eurosport subscription) might well do it (albeit less conveniently).

It should be possible to test for free, using free content or (at worst) a free trial.

https://help.eurosport.com/hc/en-gb/sections/360000930880-How-to-watch-or-stream-
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/foru...osport-without-sky-and-no-broadband.18854083/

Ok, thanks for that. I'm guessing the cast works because both phone and TV are connected to the same WiFi network. I turned off Bluetooth and the YouTube cast still works so it isn't using that. I guess I'll try the 3 day free trial to see if the Eurosport player app has a cast facility. Eurosport says it supports Chromecast but I'm not sure that's the same as the YouTube cast button and Chromecast needs another piece of kit to plug into an HDMI port on the TV.

I'm guessing the cast works because both phone and TV are connected to the same WiFi network.
There are two types of casting: one is where the screen of the mobile device is mirrored to the TV, which requires that the TV is able to receive and render graphics data passed to it; the other is where (eg) a YouTube link is transferred to the TV and then an internal YouTube client uses the link to receive content directly from YouTube and display on the TV screen. Either version requires a degree of smartness. YouTube does indeed have its own version of casting separate from Chromecast.

Ok, thanks again. I guess I need to buy a Chromecast or a Firestick to make it all work together with the Eurosport player. Do you have a preference between the two devices?

I'm learning towards the Firestick as it has it's own remote control which my wife can use while I'm away rather than faffing around on her phone for the Chromecast.

I'm learning towards the Firestick as it has it's own remote control which my wife can use while I'm away rather than faffing around on her phone for the Chromecast.
There is also a Google Chromecast with Google TV, and Voice Remote Control.

I guess I need to buy a Chromecast or a Firestick to make it all work together with the Eurosport player.
No idea, I guess you might get a more informed answer from a Eurosport forum or a Panasonic TV forum.

Do you have a preference between the two devices?
My personal preference would be for a unit with Eurosport built in. The apps listed for the Firestick HERE include Eurosport, and so do the apps listed for the Chromecast HERE.

I own a Chromecast (but don't use it for much), I have no experience of the Firestick. I will test the Chromecast with the Eurosport app (and controlled from an Android phone) and report back.

FWIW: I agree.

Last edited:
I will test the Chromecast with the Eurosport app (and controlled from an Android phone) and report back.
What I found:

The Chromecast is not self-contained, it relies on apps with Chromecast capability running on the phone/tablet. The apps listed for the Chromecast in the link above are actually Chromecast compatible apps. Everything is controlled from the phone, the Chromecast is just a display device. Performance is poor (but that's probably down to my WiFi).

Having downloaded the Eurosport player to my phone, I then found no free content and subscriptions are redirected to the Discovery+ app (which would also need to be dowloaded, or maybe instead). I didn't bother (but the iOS Europlay app didn't do this).

Like I said, I have no experience of the Firestick, but if that is capable of operating as a stand-alone device it is almost certain to be more satisfactory. Possible alternatives include Roku, NowTV, and maybe the Google TV mentioned by Brian. At least some of these are available off the shelf at my local Tesco Extra, and you might also consider Argos (where you can spend Nectar points - that's how I bought my Chromecast!*).

* See HERE for further discussion.

Back