HDR 2000T file transfer and FTP problems

Stokersson

Well I have had my 2000T 500GB for 2 weeks and I am very pleased so far :) . I have found anomalies which I will add to the .... so far post.

However I finally got a link over homeplug to my PC's and have been trying out file transfer. Have not transferred anything TO the 2000T yet but have been trying to transfer out.

:hug: DLNA/Media server. This works with Windows 7 and Media Player. Only the SD programs show so far (as expected), I have not found any HD programs which show (though I am not recording many).

:hug: USB transfer. Very slow copies but it works and SD programs will play in a number of video players including VLC, Media player and Media Centre. I am using an 8GB FAT32 stick. The HD programs, which do not show above, do not play.

:mad: FTP: This is faster than the USB, but the copied files will not play. When comparing the file between a USB copy and the FTP copy there are differences. So I conclude that the FTP is either broken or needs setting I have not found. I have used the FTP built into IE10, File Explorer and FileZilla so far - forcing binary mode on FileZilla did not help.

:confused: FTP: note2. Need to set FileZilla to single stream, only one file and or thread at a time or the error messages are continuous.

I have Windows 7 Media centre edition - Home premium, and XP machines. The DLNA server does not show on XP. The USB transferred files do play on XP.

So if anyone has any tips or has FTP: transfer working.

Stokersson

I think that your problem is likely to be that the files are encrypted.

If the HDR-2000T behaves like the HDR-FOX T2, copying to a USB Flash Drive will decrypt SD recordings, but Not HD recordings.

FTP transfer will not decrypt any recordings.

It seems likely 2000T owners will find Things Every... (click) of some interest, considering it seems to share many features with the HDR-FOX. In particular, see section 5 regarding encryption. Foxy may be useful in providing a decryption path for HiDef.

There is a decryption flow chart for the HDR Fox T2 HERE, most of the methods require Custom Firmware which is obviously not available for the 2000T, however the boxes in red don't require Custom firmware, so they may be usable on the 2000T

It seems likely 2000T owners will find "Things Every... " of some interest, considering it seems to share many features with the HDR-FOX. In particular, see section 5 regarding encryption. Foxy may be useful in providing a decryption path for HiDef.

Many thanks :D that link leads to a full explanation. Have now read some of the Wiki and am only puzzled that in all the other posts I read pre-purchase that copying Hummy to PC was easy and no mention of additional measures. As custom firmware is yet to arrive I will try the Foxy and No USB routes .

Perhaps an updated version for 2000T of your excellent "Things every ..." guide could be created when all the content can be verified for the 2000T.

Stokersson.

Just a note. Not relevant to the above but spotted while reading was a comment along the lines "... newbies expect network to respond when the processor is off ...". I say why not, hardware permitting. Most media servers (not STB's) have a network sub-processor which allows "Wake on LAN" when a non trivial network request tries to access files. If the hardware could be configured to leave the network active (and I guess in this case it probably cannot) this would be another intermediate power state. Saves leaving the box fully on or having to go and wake it up when you need to access it (auto power down function).

The HDR Fox T2 does not Wake on LAN and I would guess the 2000T won't either, most of the electronics including the LAN is powered down during standby, leaving only the front panel processor / timer / display and the UHF pass through circuitry on

If the HDR-2000T behaves like the HDR-FOX T2, copying to a USB Flash Drive will decrypt SD recordings, but Not HD recordings.

FTP transfer will not decrypt any recordings.
It is like the HDR-FOX T2.

It seems likely 2000T owners will find Things Every... (click) of some interest, considering it seems to share many features with the HDR-FOX. In particular, see section 5 regarding encryption. Foxy may be useful in providing a decryption path for HiDef.
Foxy does provide a decryption path for the HDR-2000T's HD recordings.

The HDR Fox T2 does not Wake on LAN and I would guess the 2000T won't either, most of the electronics including the LAN is powered down during standby ...
Guessed correctly. :)

:hug: USB transfer. Very slow copies but it works and SD programs will play in a number of video players including VLC, Media player and Media Centre. I am using an 8GB FAT32 stick. The HD programs, which do not show above, do not play.

During my short ownership I had 2 SD recordings where the transfer repeatedly failed. They were both recordings I had manually started (and stopped) and at least one of them was recorded from the buffer. Have you tried that yet and had success exporting? The same two recordings were not playable on a networked FOX T2 but did play unexported on the HDR-2000T.
BTW Timer recordings that were manually stopped exported fine and played via LAN on a FOX T2 fine.

The HDR Fox T2 does not Wake on LAN and I would guess the 2000T won't either, most of the electronics including the LAN is powered down during standby, leaving only the front panel processor / timer / display and the UHF pass through circuitry on

I didn't say it could, and yes the Ethernet hardware is powered down in stand by. I think documentation says that the USB is also powered down. Haven't looked inside so I do not know how the Ethernet is implemented, but the Broadcom blurb extols the "multi-room experience". So until someone does a tear-down and verifies that custom firmware could not provide "wake on LAN" we can still dream of the (faint) possibility. Getting Wi-Fi to "Wake on LAN" is a wholly more difficult problem and is extremely unlikely to be available.

During my short ownership I had 2 SD recordings where the transfer repeatedly failed. They were both recordings I had manually started (and stopped) and at least one of them was recorded from the buffer. Have you tried that yet and had success exporting? The same two recordings were not playable on a networked FOX T2 but did play unexported on the HDR-2000T.
BTW Timer recordings that were manually stopped exported fine and played via LAN on a FOX T2 fine.

Not tried that yet. I was exited to read that the pause buffer could be recorded and will try that, it is a feature I wondered why it hadn't been implemented on my previous PVR's.

Not tried that yet. I was exited to read that the pause buffer could be recorded and will try that, it is a feature I wondered why it hadn't been implemented on my previous PVR's.
Can't answer that. But I know that recording the pause buffer was an undocumented feature of the 9150t (I may be proved wrong, but I couldn't find it documented). Never got it to record three programmes though, even when all 3 programmes on the same mux.

From section 5.2 of the 2009 and 2011 versions of the 9150T manual (I haven't got a 2008 copy):
UM-PVR9150T(UK) said:
You can select the point you want to record using the / button. Press the RECORD button to start instant recording from that point.

Buffering while recording 2 other programmes did not occur on the 9150T. This is an additional feature first seen in the HDR-FOX and now continued into the HDR-2000T.

Back