HDR 2000T replacment HDD

I have a HDR 2000T that might be having hard disk issues. I haven't confirmed this yet (I have an ongoing thread about it here) but have been looking at suppliers for possible replacements if needed, I haven't opened the Humax yet so I'm just trying to get ahead a bit here.

Is it a 2.5 or 3.5" form factor?

Is it essential to use a 'PVR optimized' drive such as the Western Digital 'EURX' series? General purpose 5400rpm drives like the WD "Blue" line claim low power usage and are about 1/2 the price of an AV type so are tempting if they would do the job.

Are there any catches in replacing a drive in these Humax boxes? I've done the job in PCs but any specific problems would be good to know.

Thanks
Will

The same arguments will apply to suitability of various breeds of drive as they do for HDR-FOX - and you will find plenty of recent discussion about that.

As to form factor: I don't know for sure, but I expect it to be 3.5". You can always open the lid (and it would be good to post photos of what you find).

I'm certain mine has a 3.5" disk. I have a vague recollection of reading that some of the newer (possibly 1800T only) devices have a 2.5" disk. It really is worth opening the lid - unless you are within the (extended) warranty period. (But then you wouldn't be looking for a new disk but a repair.)

Is it a 2.5 or 3.5" form factor?
Ours was a relatively early HDR-2000T and has a 3.5" drive.

Is it essential to use a 'PVR optimized' drive such as the Western Digital 'EURX' series? General purpose 5400rpm drives like the WD "Blue" line claim low power usage and are about 1/2 the price of an AV type so are tempting if they would do the job.
It isn't essential but the risk is that you may get some stuttering on playback with a general purpose drive because they value data integrity whereas PVR optimised drives place greater importance on smooth playback.
Are there any catches in replacing a drive in these Humax boxes? I've done the job in PCs but any specific problems would be good to know.
I replaced the drive in ours last year and it was very straightforward.

Back