HDR Fox T2 - connection ok, but can't connect to internet

MalcJ

I have spent many hours browsing the Forums but none seem to resolve my problem.

I realised a while ago that my PVR hadn't all the updates so I downloaded and input via USB up to the 'unofficial' 1.03.06. But after that no internet access. So I have just reloaded download 1.02.32. Still no internet access.

I am using an Ethernet cable to a DLink router, but have to manually configure as DHCP does not provide correct configuration. My LAN settings give a 'Network connected' but when I press the Portal button I get the 'connecting' label, but nothing further. I then have to press Exit on the remote which gives 'Hunmax TV portal has ended', otherwise theTV functions do not work.

Upgrades made by download to USB and direct to front USB port on Humax

IP Config as follows (manually set):
Humax IP 192.168.1.10
netmask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.1.1
DNS 192.168.1.1

I admit that I am now baffled and cannot find a way to resolve this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If the Humax could not reach the Internet at all it would say there is no network, not just sit there. I suspect this is all just a coincidence and the Humax server is having a funny turn. Are you able to access the WebIF? What happens if you go to the Package Management section and click "Update package list from Internet"?

Just for good measure, please state the IP config that results from setting "DHCP" and clicking "Apply". Also, state the parameters returned for your PC (if Windows, open a command console and type "ipconfig").

Just changed to changed to DHCP and Apply but this time the manual settings were retained with no failure message. But when pressing the TV Portal the popup message is 'An error occurred when launching the application' and then the Humax site url. I then have to Exit on remote to get back to TV operation.

Settings after DHCP applied
IP 169.254.48.50
netmask 255.255.0.0
gateway 0.0.0.0
dns 192.168.1.1

ipconfig from my wireless laptop gives:
connection specific DNS suffix
ipv4 192.168.1.5
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
default gateway 192.168.1.1

following on from last post, smart phone via router gives
IP 192.168.1.4
subnetmask 255.255.255.0
router 192.168.1.1
DNS 192.168.1.1

Have you tried re-booting your box? This used to be required after getting the 'An error occurred when launching the application' message.

Thanks Brian I 'll try that, but will be tomorrow now as wife settled for her favourite TV prog.

Is a reboot a switch off using the rear button?

The Humax has a fall-back set of IP address's that it uses when it can't get a IP address from a DHCP server, notes HERE, as your router is on 192.168.1.1 and you are getting a Humax IP of IP 169.254.48.50 when DHCP is selected, this is telling you that the Humax can't see your router i.e. "A failed DHCP allocation can result in an IP in the range 169.254.x.x being allocated"

Are you able to access the WebIF? What happens if you go to the Package Management section and click "Update package list from Internet"?
Never got an answer to this. If the OP isn't using CF, why is this in the CF section? Why is it in the CF section even if he is?

I took Martin's advice and also a step further: switched the Box off at the rear, unplugged power socket, took network cable out from box and wall socket and replaced with different one. Then reversed the procedure, switched on all, pressed TV Portal and (lo and behold) connection and internet interface with IPlayer, (which is what I was missing) and other Apps. Tried IPlayer and Internet Radio and all ok.

So I think what I have learned here is that I shouldn't trust all what appears on the menu screen, when I had the message of 'LAN connected', it really wasn't! That message caused me (and contributors here) lots of head scratching.

Thanks to all for the all responses, it is much appreciated.

I now wonder if I dare take the TVPortal to the next stage of Internet front end (Webif) which I have read about on these pages and would it provide a better user friendly interface. Any advice?

Not sure what you are asking, you should be able to use the Normal TV portal now to access BBC I-Player, YouTube etc. If you are thinking about installing the Custom Firmware, which will give you access to the Web-Interface (Web-if), It is better to decide which official firmware version you will be using first, i.e. either stay with 1.02.32 or re-install 1.03.06, the latter works with a better version of Custom Firmware TV portal. You must then install Custom firmware the is compatible with which ever official firmware you have, there is a Custom FirmWare options page on the WiKi HERE, the CFW has to be installed on top of a matching official version e.g.
1) Install 'unofficial' 1.03.06
2) Install HDR_FOX_T2_1.03.06_mod_2.21.zip
3) Install CFW add on packages via the Web-If i.e. the New (TV) Portal

There seems little point in moving this to the Non-Custom firmware section when the OP is asking for advice on Custom Firmware

This is correct.
IP Config as follows (manually set):
Humax IP 192.168.1.10
netmask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.1.1
DNS 192.168.1.1

GREAT IDEA I GOT HERE.

Same comfusion I was facing.

Back