HDR-Fox T2 Freeview box

Wynne48

We have a couple of Fox HDR T2 Freeview boxes, all in standard condition, both in beed of some repair, i am reluctant to get rid of them as they have been so good. One has a fault with the areial connection, i think the issue is with the RF connection, its a poor connection, and if we have the TV on, while the box is recording on other channels some of the TV channels break up, with the Humax turned off this doest happen, jiggling the aerial connections on the box does help a little, other than that the box works absolutley fine. Our other box is perfect apart from the Remote control not working at times, i bought a new original Humax remote but it still happens so i take it is the box at fault. As i have said i am reluctant to get rid of them, are there any dealers or repair shops who could sort this out. I cant find any in my area, dont mind sending them by courier to a reliable dealer etc.

Any advice appreciated

Our other box is perfect apart from the Remote control not working at times, i bought a new original Humax remote but it still happens so i take it is the box at fault.
Possible, but we don't hear much about this happening. You should check the relevant button light is flashing on the handset when you think it should be transmitting. It is also straightforward to confirm the handset is emitting by viewing the "pointy end" with a phone camera (being sensitive to IR, you'll see the emissions on the phone screen when you can't with the naked eye).

If it really is the IR input on the HDR-FOX at fault, you can extend the life by installing custom firmware and controlling it from a web browser (on a smart phone or tablet).

So far as your aerial input is concerned, if you check the socket you should be able to see whether the centre pin is loose or broken. Other problems causing a similar effect are poor connectors on the aerial patch lead, poor quality cable (typically thin 4mm stuff instead of the thick 6mm cable), and interference from the HDMI lead.

Thanks for the reply, im sure the remote control issue is an actual problem with the Humax box as it works fine on the other box. I did check the centre pin and close up the centre connection with long nose pliers, its a good fit, this issue doesnt happen when we use the Humax box with the remote control issue. The house is about 23 years old and had aeriel connections fitted when we bought it, they all are the 6mm cable, changing them is not really an option as they are chased into the walls.. While i can see using the custom firmware could solve it, the stumbling block with that is my Mrs, who's mobile is a basic button one, as she flatley refuses a modern phone,also we have no tablet, and just a PC. I am reluctant to give up on them, and will persevere for now and hopefully will find someone who repairs them...Thanks for all the advice anyway

I did see a Humax FVPt 500gb for £170, not sure on the Aura, it seems overkill for us as we really only want to record, we use the TV for Prime and Netflix. Want to keep it simple, im not quite giving up on the Humax Fox T2 HDR yet.

Last edited:
It seems likely the IR problem can be fixed by replacing the front panel assembly. Have sent you a PM.

Why not swap the front panels? The front panel has the IR receiver, display, buttons, etc. You may get one working unit from the two faulty ones.
BH wrote this excellent guide -

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice, have had a chat with Mrs and we have decided to order a new Humax FVPt 500gb .Just got to decide wether to risk a Humax refurb or buy new. Im not really up to swapping the IR units on the box we have now. Can i connect the external HD i use with the pc to the box we have now to transfer all the non HD programes off the humax and then put them on the new FVPt 500gb f. If not its not to much of a problem if we have to lose them.
Thanks

Thanks for all the advice, have had a chat with Mrs and we have decided to order a new Humax FVPt 500gb .Just got to decide wether to risk a Humax refurb or buy new. Im not really up to swapping the IR units on the box we have now.
As someone who has used both the FVP-5000T and the Aura, I would suggest you have a think about the Aura which is much nicer to use. Humax have recently started to make refurbished Auras available.
Can i connect the external HD i use with the pc to the box we have now to transfer all the non HD programes off the humax and then put them on the new FVPt 500gb f. If not its not to much of a problem if we have to lose them.
Yes but without custom firmware the drive must be formatted as FAT32 or Ext2/3. If you have HD recordings they can also be transferred but that requires a bit of work.

I have looked at the Aura, yes it looks impressive, but all we need the box for is to record, the TV has all the apps we need, and we have decided to buy a new FVP-5000T. Ive given up on getting the recordings of the old box, to much of a faff. We can watch 50% on catch up, and im sure the music progs. will be on again sometime. I will keep the box which occasionally has issues with the remote control, it will be connected to another tv, and i may put the custom frmware, to use a mobile phone as a remote if we need to I would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction on were to download it and any instructions on installing it.

Thanks

Thanks for the link to the custom firmware, only issue i seem to be having is finding the firware download, i did find a link but it wont open. Our new Humax FVP 500t arrived yesterday, up to now we are really pleased with it. I have connected the old Humax with the remote control issue to another TV, i was hoping to install the custom firmware on this and if needed use a old smartphone to change channels etc, I wil probably keep the Humax with the dodgy RF outlet for spares, i have looked at the link on dismantling it, at first i wasnt sure, but it does look reasonbly staright forward. Thanks for all the help, hopefully i wont be pestering for advice anymore.

Grrrrrr... The new Humax FVP 500t failed yesterday, ive been in touch with John Lewis and i'm taking it back to John Lewis Cribbs Causway store tomorrow, for a full refund. I hooked the old Humax box up to the TV, sods law the remote control issue is back, i can change channels using panel on TV but its hit and miss with the remote, its not the remote as after changing chanels a few times using the Humax panel the remote will work ok for a while then it freezes again. I've given up now. I looked again at the Aura, but i see people are having issues with that with TV signal strength etc. Lost faith in Humax and will look at what the Panasonic box is like. Appreciated all the help you all gave but enough is enough now.

Also have a look at the Manhattan T3-R.
I have seen it for sale , but never heard of the make before. The reviews look good, but im very warey of buying from Brands i dont know, i suppose i could give it a try, John Lewis seem to sell it and its not to hard to do returns there. Will see if they have one in store when i return the 5000T this afternoon. I will miss some of the options with my old Humax Fox T2, but i have had almost a good twelve years service out of it, so cant really complain.

A family member has been using that Manhattan for six months and is very pleased with it.

I have seen it for sale , but never heard of the make before.
Manhattan TV have been around for more than twenty years but I think they were better known for satellite receivers but have got into the Freeview market over the last few years. I think I have read somewhere the software is developed in the UK.

Last edited:
I have had my Manhattan T3-R for over three months, and have been very pleased with it.

Ive just ordered a Manhattan T3-R 1 TB from Richersounds for £179.00, which is what John Lewis wanted for the same box with 500gb. Richersounds 6 year warranty was £16.00, plus its refunded if there is no claim. We did buy a Samsung TV from them a year back and after a few months use it develeped a picture fault, they were ecxellent in getting it repaired, picked it up from house, fitted a new motherboard and we had it back in less than a week. I will miss the Humax but nothing lasts for ever, going to hopefully watch what we have recorded on it, may stick both on Ebay for spares/repairs.

Back