HDR Fox T2 Green HDMI sort of fix

mcentee2

First post I think! Hoping someone can help and/or explain my experience.

My HDR is one of the first "horizontal" hardware builds. It has worked absolutely fine with my 2011 Samsung UE40D6530 TV from the time I got them.

Earlier this week I upgraded (slightly) my amp to a Yamaha rx-v387 whereupon no matter what I did the HDR gave me a green screen after about 2 seconds after a good picture/sound, which i researched thoroughly on this and other forums.

I changed firmware, Humax and Custom, and loaders, swapped cables, messed with all combinations of CEC on and off etc.

Anyway, eventually I plugged the HDR into the Yamaha port HDMI 4 which is the only one that supports HDCP 2.2, and it works fine, the other 3 HDMI ports fail to green screen.

Any idea why/how, as I know the HDR probably shouldn't have a clue what HDCP 2.2 is !!

So, sort of great, except that it now uses my only HDCP 2.2 and 4k passthru port for my HDR.

My Xbox X needs to go there at some point when I get a 4k TV :)

So I would love to get the HDR working properly in one of those other three "standard" HDMI ports.

Has anyone had any green screen success using a particular HDMI matrix or switch in between the HDR and the amp ?

Last edited:
Can't you connect the HDR to the TV and then forward the sound to the amp by TOSLink? Or even TOSLink direct from the HDR to the amp and HDMI direct from HDR to TV.

Good idea! That way i don't necessarily need to use ARC and CEC, as am pretty sure amongst all my testing this got confusing for the poor devices

My logitech Harmony remote should be able to cope.

I need to check if the raw (or decoded) 5.1 is passed from the HDR Freeview HD channels through the TV optical, on the one hand I think it might not, but on the other hand IIRC i have only ever come across that on Match of the Day anyway !!

If it is stereo only, then I'lk try HDR to amp optical, that sgould retain it.

I could happily live with the Yamaha doing its Cinema decoding modes, which are pretty good, on any 2ch source.

Thanks again!

I have never understood why people expect to forward video via the amp to the TV instead of forwarding the audio via the TV to the amp.., but then again I've never owned an amp myself.

A friend has a sound bar, and it suffers from some weird effects, but I'm not allowed to fiddle with it!

I have never understood why people expect to forward video via the amp to the TV instead of forwarding the audio via the TV to the amp.., but then again I've never owned an amp myself.

A friend has a sound bar, and it suffers from some weird effects, but I'm not allowed to fiddle with it!

Presumbly because by going via the TV for sound adds complexity with switching control, and the TV out might lose rhat precious surround.

What a strange statement
View attachment 4308

Memory fails me 🙂 lets say first post for a looooong time.

Just shows how good the HDR is !

I have wondered that as well. I have a suspicion that the amp possibly has more HDMI inputs than the TV thus makes switching between sources simpler by just using the expensive all singing all dancing flat screen TV as a monitor. and just another video/audio source alongside the x-boxes, Sky Q and other time wasting stuff . Of course, then the audio then just 'tags along' with the video.

Presumbly because by going via the TV for sound adds complexity with switching control, and the TV out might lose rhat precious surround.
I can't see that as a problem, unless the TV isn't "amp enabled" with a digital audio output.

I need to check if the raw (or decoded) 5.1 is passed from the HDR Freeview HD channels through the TV optical, on the one hand I think it might not
Feeding an HDMI input containing Dolby 5.1 sound from my HDR-Fox T2 to my Samsung LE46A786R (2009) results in the TV outputting stereo via it's Toslink optical output, newer TVs however do forward the Dolby 5.1

The TV will convert the 5.1 to stereo to feed it's internal speakers but also feeds stereo to the optical output

There is an alternative: put a HDMI splitter/switch/mux between the HDR and the TV, and tap off the HDMI to the amp (if the TOSLink from HDR to amp isn't good enough).

There is an alternative: put a HDMI splitter/switch/mux between the HDR and the TV, and tap off the HDMI to the amp.

That is the route I intend to go down, hence my question of if anyone has had any success with any named switch/matrix so I don't take an unecessary gamble !

If you buy on line from the likes of Amazon that have a cracking return system, there is no risk, as if it doesn't do what you want it to do, just send it back.
However, having said that, there is a jolly good case for 'asking the audience' in an attempt to get it right first time.

If you buy on line from the likes of Amazon that have a cracking return system, there is no risk, as if it doesn't do what you want it to do, just send it back.
However, having said that, there is a jolly good case for 'asking the audience' in an attempt to get it right first time.

Given my own feeble memory issues in this thread, and the "me too" responses, maybe that wasn't the best idea in the end lol !!

I have wondered that as well. I have a suspicion that the amp possibly has more HDMI inputs than the TV thus makes switching between sources simpler by just using the expensive all singing all dancing flat screen TV as a monitor. and just another video/audio source alongside the x-boxes, Sky Q and other time wasting stuff . Of course, then the audio then just 'tags along' with the video.

That's exactly the point. The amp is designed to be the 'hub' of the system, and everything passes through it making switching simpler (especially if you don't have something like a Harmony remote to do the heavy lifting). You can also benefit from on-screen amp menus when you need them if you send everything via it. TV manufacturers attempt to keep prices down in part by skimping on the number of HDMI inputs on the back - you'd be hard pressed to find a set with more than four these days. Conversely, four HDMI inputs seems to be the level at which budget amps start, and that number increases as you pay more, giving good flexibility.

I don't own an amp myself, as I'm fortunate that my TV (a 2009 Philips) actually has five HDMI inputs (but try and find one like that now!), and they are all used at present.

Last edited:
Back