hdr-fox t2 won't leave standby

Hello everyone
For the first time in ages I'm having some trouble.
I switched on and tried to watch a recording, however the unit "hung" as we have all experienced from time to time. Did the usual off/on at the rear however this time it switched on, said START SYSTEM and then CUST FW 3.02 (sorry i know that's ages ago, but it given me so little trouble!!), made it's start up noise and promptly went straight back into standby from where it was unresponsive. I've switched it off for varying amounts of time with the same result barring once where the tv signal appeared, and then went into standby!

I can't see any obvious topics that cover a "how to" for this situation. I have tried the reboot with everything unplugged, which made no difference at all.
I'm very poor with technical stuff and even worse with electrical things.
I have downloaded the latest fw onto a usb stick and have tried booting with that it both the front and rear usb ports.

any help would be very gratefully received please

Last edited:
This sounds like a capacitor failure. The only other thing to try is see what happens with the HDD disconnected.

Thanks for your reply.

Is that something an electrical shop could fix, or would it not be worth it?

How would I disconnect the HDD?

might have been a false alarm that! it works again but is very very slow. i deleted the programme that i had tried to watch in case it was something dodgy there. then had a look through the EPG and my recordings. pressed play on another and it took a full ten seconds to begin playing. then paused itself and restarted a few seconds later. after i pressed stop it seems to be frozen on the recordings list.

:roflmao: Sorry to hijack the thread, but posts # 7 & 8 brought my grin back. (I was given the dentist's bill this morning!} :eek:

I apologise for not reading the entire database instead then!

where should i look next for a system check? i seem to remember using putty or something to do a disk check? i'll have a look and refresh this from time to time so see if any of you have a time saving fix for me.
cheers

i ploughed on using putty. it's found and fixed a bad block so far and is now off searching for an inode!! these are all new things to me remember! apologies again!

where should i look next for a system check?
It's all linked in the article I already pointed you at (the word "Repair" being the clue).

Repair

Hard Disk Drive (HDD)

HDD file system errors can be recovered by software - see Quick Guide to Disk Recovery (click). If, on the other hand, the HDD fails mechanically or its SMART diagnostics report accumulating errors (WebIF >> Diagnostics >> Disk Diagnostics), replacement is the best option (and the opportunity can be taken to increase the storage capacity, effectively unlimited by use of the custom firmware and GPT disk formatting). See HDR-FOX HDD Replacement (click).

Nonetheless, the faults you originally reported do not correlate with only a faulty HDD. The suggestion to disconnect the HDD was to remove load from the system.

i seem to remember using putty or something to do a disk check?
Only if you're a masochist.

Last edited:
haha well i did do the putty thing. it seems to have identified and isolated the problem area ( i have no idea what i am saying there BTW) , and all appears well this morning. overnight test recordings worked and it's back to it's normal operating times.

the opening of the unit looks well beyond my capabilities, but thanks for showing me the way.

see you all next time!

Back