Health of HDD after fix-disk

Thanks. Onto other ideas then. I'm going to run fix-disk even though this disk is new, just to see if it clears it. The old disk was stuck in a delete loop when I pulled it, I dont see why that should effect files copied onto the new but it's something to try. If that does nothing I'll keep deleting and trying until nothing left to try. Then its reformat.

So I've worked out how to directly enter at a command prompt which was nice and simple. I wasn't sure but copied that code exactly as typed by Mymsman and got nothing back, just back to the command prompt. I then tried the lsof -Fns on its own and got a very long report. Was I supposed to enter that code exactly? If so there was no list produced.

For info the web-if says system is in standby but the disk is still running and web-if fully functional so not truly in standby.

I did say Sometimes !
No output is the normal, correct, output for a system about to shut down, if it had given some output it would have given a clue to a possible cause of the problem
So we are back to to @Black Hole 's divide and conquer strategy.

ps If you try the command again while the system is on and recording or playing back then you would see those programmes listed in the output
You could also try see if there any .hmt or .nts files in use but I doubt they will be
Code:
lsof -Fns | grep "\.nts" | sort -u
lsof -Fns | grep "\.hmt" | sort -u

Last edited:
Successssssss!!!!!

Indeed it was corrupt recordings and as always with these things bloody obvious in the end. Thanks very much all for advising.

For info if you're interested and for anyone else who ends up here:

Monday I was at work and then out all evening. I set the Humax to copy over recordings in a larger batch than usual. I came in late and found it failed part way through with the old HDD spooled down in its caddy. The USB cable had been unplugged - presumably by the kids. I deleted the part copied recordings and did them again and they were my first suspects in all of this but not the fault. I from then on was focused on what I had copied from the old corrupted HDD as the issue.

I didn't think to check for new recordings made Monday in my absence when the lead got pulled. I just did and hey presto three corrupt recordings, complete failure to play when attempted. Remove these and all works. Nothing to do with the old HDD whatsoever.

That always rules.
What I meant was that once you had set your mind on the idea that you had a faulty disc (target) it was very difficult to subsequently get away from that idea.:frantic:😂

That always rules.
What I meant was that once you had set your mind on the idea that you had a faulty disc (target) it was very difficult to subsequently get away from that idea.:frantic:😂

Trick cyclist as well Trev? ;)

What I meant was that once you had set your mind on the idea that you had a faulty disc (target) it was very difficult to subsequently get away from that idea.
They call that "Continuation bias".

Back