Help required playing files from dead FOX T2

WhyNine

My HDR-FOX T2 dies over the weekend after a power cut. I have removed the hard disk and can access the files ok. I had loaded the custom firmware with the auto-decrypter so none of the TS files should be encrypted.

My problem is that I can't manage to play these TS files on anything else. These are the things I have tried:
  • Playing the TS file with VLC (on both Windows and Linux devices). After pressing play, it just thinks about it for a while then stops.
  • FTPing the files to my new Humax. They appear under Media with a video still as the icon but it won't play. I have tried this with/out the htm and nts files.
  • Converting the files using ffmpeg to mp4. ffmpeg gives the error message "could not find codec parameters"
  • Putting the files on a USB stick and playing on my Samsung BD player. It fails to play them.
I thought that this would be easy, sigh.

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong or could try next?

My HDR-FOX T2 dies over the weekend after a power cut. I have removed the hard disk and can access the files ok. I had loaded the custom firmware with the auto-decrypter so none of the TS files should be encrypted.

My problem is that I can't manage to play these TS files on anything else. These are the things I have tried:
  • Playing the TS file with VLC (on both Windows and Linux devices). After pressing play, it just thinks about it for a while then stops.
  • FTPing the files to my new Humax. They appear under Media with a video still as the icon but it won't play. I have tried this with/out the htm and nts files.
  • Converting the files using ffmpeg to mp4. ffmpeg gives the error message "could not find codec parameters"
  • Putting the files on a USB stick and playing on my Samsung BD player. It fails to play them.
Pretty obviously they must still be encrypted. You probably want to read this https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/using-fox-t2-recordings-with-plex-media-server.2003/#post-25775 and in particular the section on the Linux and Windows utilities for decryption on a PC.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I tried playing an SD recording and that didn't work either. Since SD recordings are not encrypted, that would rule out that possibility, right?

Also, I used to watch the HD recordings via DLNA on a PC.

Hmm, I did have the auto-decrypt utility installed but maybe it stopped working??

Anyway, encrypted files sounds plausible, accordsing to the symptons I have. I downloaded stripts and cygwin files to my PC and tried running it. It claims that the key I gave it is incorrect for the recordings.

The MAC address is 00-03-78-B8-CC-88 and the serial number is 63710426600542 so I used the decryption key 000378B8CC8836333731303432363630. Is that right?

Hmm, I did have the auto-decrypt utility installed but maybe it stopped working??
Do you mean auto-unprotect which makes HD recordings available for decryption but doesn't actually decrypt them
The MAC address is 00-03-78-B8-CC-88 and the serial number is 63710426600542 so I used the decryption key 000378B8CC8836333731303432363630. Is that right?
I am not an expert on stripts but it looks right to me. Whilst you wait for someone who knows about stripts to answer you might want to try the alternative HFODU https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/windows-version-of-offline-decryption-hfodu.8770/

Yes that looks correct to me, I have found that '-@' works where '-/' using the same code says incorrect, I don't know why so if you haven't tried '-@' yet give it a go
Code:
stripts -@ 000378bd11f336333731303434393630 "input file name" "output file name"

stripts -/ 000378bd11f336333731303434393630 "input file name"

Yay, using -@ works! Many thanks, Ezra and Martin.

I installed the decryptor tool so many years ago that I forgot exactly what it does, except that it worked for my use case (watching over DLNA).

Now I've got no excuse to not decrypt all of my wife's old recordings ...

I installed the decryptor tool so many years ago that I forgot exactly what it does, except that it worked for my use case (watching over DLNA).
You avoid confusing yourself if you use its official name of "unprotect" tool. It unsets the flag that prevents HD recordings from having the encryption removed via DLNA and when copying to USB storage and for your case of watching via DLNA will do what you want.

I have removed the:- stripts -/ 000378bd11f336333731303434393630 "input file name" example from the Wiki, as it appears to be unreliable, in the Windows version at least

Back