Help With Custom Firmware Please

autolycus

I think i've installed everything correctly. But i cannot see how to actually DO anything. I've noticed references to an 'applications and plug-ins tab' but cannot find it in the web interface. I've seen some links to an idiots' guide on avforums, but the links don't work.

Perhaps someone could talk me through a simple exercise like transferring a file from the hummy to my PC? I have samba installed - as i gather that is the app to use (?) - but, as i've said, i have no idea actually how to run it.

Thanks

Samba enables Windows networking - with the relevant package installed the Foxsat should become visible on a Windows PC as network storage accessible through File Explorer and you can then move files around just the same as any other - simple as that.

You should be asking on AV Forums. When you login to the Web Interface do you see the standard Web Interface after logging in to your box IP address and installing the full interface.

Like this.

If so have you looked at the documentation page (the books). To use Samba you have to map the Foxsat hard disc as a network drive.

Attachments

• screen_2014-11-26 22.12.26.jpg
    screen_2014-11-26 22.12.26.jpg
    384 KB · Views: 16
Black Hole - Foxsat does not show up in widows explorer.
grahamlthompson - I have looked at the documentation page, but what then? My interface looks like this
Incidentally running Win XP

Attachments

• humax web interface.jpg
    humax web interface.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 12
Have you set up the Workgroup on the Hummy to be in the same workgroup as the XP machine. This will stop it displaying in Win Explerer (XP mightfind it after a while if it's in the wring workgroup, but I wouldn't hold my breth)
@ GLT. And what's wrong with the OP asking here?

Have you set up the Workgroup on the Hummy to be in the same workgroup as the XP machine. This will stop it displaying in Win Explerer (XP mightfind it after a while if it's in the wring workgroup, but I wouldn't hold my breth)
@ GLT. And what's wrong with the OP asking here?

Nothing. But for the best advice from the experts there's a much better chance on AVForums.

Presumably the poster downloaded the software from the link on the support thread at AV Forums.

Last edited:
Black Hole - Foxsat does not show up in widows explorer.
grahamlthompson - I have looked at the documentation page, but what then? My interface looks like this
Incidentally running Win XP

http://agsci.psu.edu/it/how-to/map-and-disconnect-network-drives-in-windows-xp

XP is very old and unsupported now. You can also access the Foxsat using ftp (install one of the ftp packages). Filezilla appears to work with XP according to the documentation.

https://wiki.filezilla-project.org/Client_Installation

Thanks for the replies. I think avforums was down for a while yesterday. I finally found some info in a 70 page (!) thread, but i could not even get the first feature to work (filezilla 'could not connect to server'). I think all this is a bit beyond me as a have no idea what workgroups are. Telnet does not show in services.msc, although telnet.exe is in \system32. And even if telnet is installed, which i think it is, i have no idea how to "telnet in" to the HDR (or even what that means exactly).

Conversely, i found last night that my list of videos in the web interface had an 'opt' button and i could download files to my PC, which was the main object. Was this using 'samba' whatever that is? I'd just like to know i understood a tiny bit of what is actually happening.

And of course this morning, when i tried to open the web interface (http://192.168.0.4/index.jim) i got a '404 not found' error.

Until very recently, I had an XP 32bit machine which could 'see' my Foxsat with no problems using Network Neighbourhood or by mapping one or more of its folders as a drive. The main problem that I had originally was because of a workgroup name clash between the Hummy and the XP machine. I have never had the urge to FTP
W7 will find the Hummy even if it's in the 'wrong' workgroup, but it might just take a while, like several minuets.

Have a look at my Trail Guide (click) - it is relevant to HDR-FOX but it will get you up to speed on the concepts.

I told you what samba is in post 2 - it just starts the network file access service. If you can't ping the box on your network it ain't gonna work anyway.

Well, i solved the 404 error - my hdr seems to have changed it's ip address overnight to 192.168.0.3

Trev - are you talking about something i should do under right-click my computer>map network drive? Is this what you mean by workgoups?
Black Hole - I'm afraid i didn't understand your first post. Do you meani have to install samba on my xp machine? I searched before but could not make head or tail of how to do that. I'll read the link you put up.

Thanks

Well, i solved the 404 error - my hdr seems to have changed it's ip address overnight to 192.168.0.3

Trev - are you talking about something i should do under right-click my computer>map network drive? Is this what you mean by workgoups?
Black Hole - I'm afraid i didn't understand your first post. Do you meani have to install samba on my xp machine? I searched before but could not make head or tail of how to do that. I'll read the link you put up.

Thanks

You don't need Samba on your PC. You should log in to your router and reserve the address the Foxsat is using so it will never change.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43840/how-to-check-your-workgroup-in-windows-xp/

Don't use DHCP then. Or at least fix it on the server (presumably your router) to hand out the same address each time.

To find the workgroup that your computer is in you need to go to system properties. I can't remember exactly how on an XP machine, but you should be able to access it from Control Panel. This will give you the Computer name and Workgroup name. Make a note of the workgroup name.
Now access the hummy Web interface and goto Settings ~ System Settings. Set the Workgroup to whatever you noted above (For example. mine is set to "MSHOME" (without the quotes) and my Hostname is the default "Foxsat-HDR". The latter allows direct access by typing HTTP://Foxsat-hdr into your browser address bar rather than the Hummy's ip address.

The main problem that I had originally was because of a workgroup name clash between the Hummy and the XP machine.
You cannot have a "workgroup name clash". They are supposed to be the same. If they are different, that is not a clash, is it?
like several minuets.
Stop dancing around the problem.

To find the workgroup that your computer is in you need to go to system properties. I can't remember exactly how on an XP machine, but you should be able to access it from Control Panel. This will give you the Computer name and Workgroup name. Make a note of the workgroup name.
Now access the hummy Web interface and goto Settings ~ System Settings. Set the Workgroup to whatever you noted above (For example. mine is set to "MSHOME" (without the quotes) and my Hostname is the default "Foxsat-HDR". The latter allows direct access by typing HTTP://Foxsat-hdr into your browser address bar rather than the Hummy's ip address.

Link to instructions for XP in post 13. All the Microsoft help for XP has been removed.

I've set up the hummy as MSHOME, same as PC, but i still don't see it in mycomputer.

I think i've successfully reserved the ip address on my router now - time will tell!

Tried to read the BH guide but it seems too advanced for me. Followed the link for instructions to set up filezilla, but the crucial pictures showing the settings are missing. I now get 'Connection established, waiting for welcome message', followed by 'Error: Could not connect to server'. It would be good to get this working just for a better understanding of how things work, but i have managed to download from 'browse media files'.

I really do need an idiots guide, but can someone explain why i WAS able to download using the opt button? If i wasn't using telnet, ftp or samba,what was i using? It might be a start if i knew what i was doing RIGHT :)

Filezilla Site Manager settings - Use your IP address - password is 0000 (four zeros)

Attachments

• screen_2014-11-12 10.19.16.jpg
    screen_2014-11-12 10.19.16.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 8
Thanks, but those are the settings i finally decided must be correct and it doesn't work. I get

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Error: Connection timed out
Error: Could not connect to server

Back