How can I update the firmware of a BT DTR-T1000?

eggbean

Hi. I have a DTR-T1000 that I got through BT nine years ago. It has actually been unused for many years, but I would like to use it as a Freeview recorder. I am no longer with BT, but hopefully I can still use it as a recorder?

At the moment none of the apps, like BBC iPlayer, are working as they are out of date. When I try updating the firmware through the Settings it fails. I am guessing that it is trying to contact BT servers that are unavailable to me from my non-BT internet connection (I am on Zen Internet).

Is it possible to update the firmware on this through some other method, like USB? Where would I get the firmware from if this is possible? It would be a shame to have to throw away this device when it has hardly been used and could make a useful recorder.

It would be a shame to have to throw away this device when it has hardly been used and could make a useful recorder.
In what way isn't it working (as a recorder)? Recording functions don't, on the face of it, depend on non-working apps.

iPlayer stopped working on HDR-FOX a couple of years ago because the built-in certificates expired. Humax eventually issued a firmware update to renew the certificates (and fiddled with other stuff in the process, which buggered up HD-FOX, but fortunately we have our own ways around these things [HDR-FOX and HD-FOX only]).

Here's the Humax web page for DTR-T1000 product support, and there is no mention of a firmware update available for download: https://uk.humaxdigital.com/support/?category_id=14&product_id=2648

You could browse the Youview web site for support, but I suspect, if BT supplied the box as part of a package, it is locked to BT. Entering "unlock youview" into the search bar immediately pops up search strings such as "unlock bt youview box", so clearly other people have been looking for similar information, but a quick skim of results doesn't seem to offer much hope.

Is it possible to update the firmware on this through some other method, like USB? Where would I get the firmware from if this is possible? It would be a shame to have to throw away this device when it has hardly been used and could make a useful recorder.
My recollection is that Youview made a decision some years ago that the DTR-T1000 hardware wasn't powerful enough to support new versions of the apps and they wouldn't be available for the DTR-T1000. It should still work as a basic TV recorder.

Hi. I have a DTR-T1000 that I got through BT nine years ago. It has actually been unused for many years, but I would like to use it as a Freeview recorder. I am no longer with BT, but hopefully I can still use it as a recorder?
Yes people do with the DTR-T1000 and therefore unless it is faulty you should as well. I also have a BT youview model and that is fine.

At the moment none of the apps, like BBC iPlayer, are working as they are out of date. When I try updating the firmware through the Settings it fails. I am guessing that it is trying to contact BT servers that are unavailable to me from my non-BT internet connection (I am on Zen Internet).
Nope. The BT boxes are still updatable providing there is something to update. It does not mater whether you even have BT as your internet provider
What software versions are you on?

The latest Manufacturer / Component Software are 29.107.0 / 3.3.164.

At the moment none of the apps, like BBC iPlayer, are working as they are out of date.
Providing you are up to date, it should only be ITV catchup that does not work. As Martin says the DTR-T1000 is now too old to support the more recent changes. The streaming apps effected are ITV Hub (which will fail when you try to play something), and Netflix, Britbox and Prime which are not available at all on the DTR-T1000.

I am guessing that it is trying to contact BT servers that are unavailable to me from my non-BT internet connection (I am on Zen Internet).
It should be possible to update on any home internet connection.
There was an issue with some youview boxes not connecting fully if it was a BT business connection, but I can't recall the detail of what exactly went wrong, or what the resolution was.

Is it possible to update the firmware on this through some other method, like USB?
No.

iPlayer stopped working on HDR-FOX a couple of years ago because the built-in certificates expired. Humax eventually issued a firmware update to renew the certificates [/URL]
The certificates did not expire on the DTR-T1000.

Here's the Humax web page for DTR-T1000 product support, and there is no mention of a firmware update available for download: https://uk.humaxdigital.com/support/?category_id=14&product_id=2648
Details of the relevant software are to found on a different site - not one of Humax's site.
The original youview specification stated that updates via the USB would not be possible after it left the factory.

I suspect, if BT supplied the box as part of a package, it is locked to BT. Entering "unlock youview" into the search bar immediately pops up search strings such as "unlock bt youview box", so clearly other people have been looking for similar information, but a quick skim of results doesn't seem to offer much hope.
No, it is not locked to a BT line or subscription. As it is not locked it is not possible to find anything useful online concerning unlocking. apart from that they are not locked.

Last edited:
Back